If you’re looking for an easy creamy potato soup recipe, you’ve come to the right place. Our Creamy Vegan Garlic & Rosemary Potato Soup is thick and velvety and full of flavor. It’s made with 7 simple ingredients and you’ll have it on the table in just 45 minutes! Serve it with a fresh green salad for a well-balanced meal.
Published Nov. 17, 2014 and updated Oct. 24, 2019.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
A MODERN TWIST ON OLD FASHIONED POTATO SOUP
Potatoes are the best vegetable ever.
They’re so versatile. I mean, just look at all of the recipes you can make with potatoes.
And of course, they make the best soup recipe.
Old fashioned potato soup is a basic recipe of potatoes, milk, and salt and pepper. Our soup recipe is much bolder.
We elevate the flavor with pan roasted garlic and rosemary, and a bit of nutritional yeast for a hint of a cheesy flavor.
ARE POTATOES GOOD FOR YOU?
As long as they're not fried or topped with other high fat and cholesterol foods, they're super healthy.
- They're packed full of important nutrients, such as Vitamin B 6 and C, copper, potassium, and more.
- They have the potential to lower blood pressure.
- They help build and strengthen cells.
- They're good for the brain and nervous system.
- They help the cardiovascular system.
- If you're an athlete, you should be eating potatoes.
Click HERE to learn more.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC POTATO SOUP WITH ROSEMARY
This vegetarian potato soup recipe is such a simple soup recipe.
The most difficult thing you’ll need to do is blend the ingredients, and that’s not hard. 😊
In a large pot, cover the potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until they’re fork tender. Reserve one cup of the potato water, then drain and put the potatoes back in the pot.
While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil on medium-high heat in a small skillet. Sauté the garlic and rosemary for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the garlic just begins to brown. Remove from heat.
Add the butter, broth, reserved potato water, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, and the garlic and rosemary to the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Puree the potatoes with an immersion blender, or transfer by small batches to a blender to puree. Serve hot.
NOTE: If you prefer a chunkier potato soup, puree half of the soup and mash the remaining soup until you get the desired texture.
WHAT ARE THE BEST POTATOES FOR MAKING POTATO SOUP?
These are our top three potatoes for making soup.
Each type brings its own unique flavor and texture to the recipe, so go with what you like.
RUSSET – These have a dark brown skin and white flesh. They’re one of the drier potatoes, but are still fine for soup.
YUKON GOLD – We love these because their melt in your mouth buttery flavor is delicious. They get their name because of their light golden color.
NEW RED – These have a red skin and a white flesh. They have a mild flavor and cook like most white potatoes.
MORE POTATO SOUP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Make our easy soup recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
VEGAN GARLIC AND ROSEMARY POTATO SOUP
- 10 medium organic Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and cut into quarters
- 32 ounce vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter we prefer Miyoko’s or Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 teaspoon nutritional yeast optional, see note
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes in water and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until they’re fork tender. Reserve one cup of the potato water, drain the water and put the potatoes back in the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the 1 teaspoon olive oil on medium-high heat in a small skillet. Sauté the garlic and rosemary for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat.
- Add the 1 tablespoon vegan butter, 32 oz of vegetable broth, reserved potato water, 3 teaspoon nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, and the garlic and rosemary to the potatoes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Puree the potatoes with an immersion blender, or transfer by small batches to a blender to puree.
- Serve hot.
- NUTRITION DISCLAIMER
- Do NOT use brewers or active dry yeast. Only NUTRITIONAL YEAST will do for this recipe.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.