We partnered with WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE (sponsored post) to bring you our Crispy Vegan Southwest Egg Rolls. They’re made with our homemade egg roll wrappers and filled with healthy vegetables, a blend of Mexican spices, and creamy and delicious Wholly Guacamole. Serve them as an appetizer, a side dish, or for dinner.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
THE BEST VEGAN PARTY APPETIZER
If you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer, maybe something like the Tex Mex egg rolls recipe from the Cheesecake Factory, then you’ve come to the right place.
Our Southwest egg rolls are as good as any restaurant appetizer you’ve ever eaten.
Actually, they’re better, because they’re made with the freshest whole food ingredients and homemade egg roll wrappers.
It takes a little bit of time to make the wrappers, and that’s why we love Wholly Guacamole in these Mexican egg rolls.
We know the guacamole will be great, and Wholly Guacamole saves us so much time.
WHY WE LOVE WHOLLY GUACAMOLE
How many times have you spent a fortune on whole avocados that felt perfectly ripe, only to cut into them to find tons of brown spots?
The frustration is real!
That’s why we suggest keeping your fridge stocked with several of Wholly Guacamole’s varying products.
It takes the guess work out of serving good guacamole, and here’s why:
Wholly Guacamole is made with real, quality ingredients (including hand-scooped Hass Avocados and absolutely no added preservatives), it provides you with good fats and fiber, and incredible taste—without all the fuss, hassle and unpredictable nature of avocados.
With Wholly Guacamole products, you don’t have to sacrifice great taste for convenience. Their quality is consistent, so you’ll always know that you’re going to get a great batch of guacamole.
It’s so convenient. Whether you’re going to use it in a recipe to add flavor and creaminess or pair it with chips, ready-to-serve Wholly Guacamole is easy and always fresh and delicious.
WHY WE USED CLASSIC AND SPICY GUACAMOLE TO MAKE OUR TEX MEX EGG ROLLS
We wanted the egg rolls to be spicy, and the Southwest egg roll dipping sauce to be fresh and mild.
The two flavors are nicely balanced, so you and your guests get a kick of heat, met by a pleasantly cool bite.
WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy Guacamole has bold, delicious flavor, is made with 100% Hass avocado goodness and an extra kick of jalapeño.
WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic Guacamole is dippable, spreadable and loveable, and the flavor that started it all – a true classic.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN EGG ROLL WRAPPERS?
You can call these wonton or egg roll wrappers; they’re really the same thing.
Once you get the hang of them, you’ll find that they’re super easy to make.
We suggest making them ahead of time so they’re ready to go.
Whisk the Vegan Egg and water until it’s creamy and thick.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. Then add the egg mixture and fold until combined. Add a tablespoon of water at a time until the dough forms a solid ball. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes then form it into a ball, put it back in the bowl, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
Pinch off a tablespoon of dough and roll into a circle until it’s paper thin.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN TEX MEX EGG ROLL?
Once you’ve made the egg roll wrappers, you’ll need to prepare the filling.
Finely chop the onion, bell peppers, and zucchini.
Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
When the oil is hot, add the onion and vegetables and spread out evenly in the pan. Cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until they’re softened and beginning to brown. Stir often.
Add the spices and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
HOW DO YOU FOLD SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS?
Before you fold them, you’ll need to fill them with the spicy, savory filling.
Place about a tablespoon of the vegetable filling in the center of the egg roll wrapper.
Now add a liberal dollop of the WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy Guacamole on top of the veggies.
Fold one half of the wrapper over the filling.
Fold another side over the filling.
Fold the third side over the filling and roll.
Brush with a vegan egg wash and cook.
YOU CAN FRY, AIR-FRY, OR BAKE SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS
HOW TO FRY SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS
- Cover the bottom of a heavy skillet in about an inch of vegetable oil. We prefer canola oil for frying.
- Heat the oil to 325°F (163°C). Use a kitchen thermometer to check the temperature of the oil.
- When the oil reaches the frying temperature (don’t put the egg rolls in the pan until the oil is completely hot or they’ll turn out soggy), carefully put the egg rolls in the oil.
- Leave some space between the rolls. You’ll need to fry these in batches.
- Fry for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until they’re golden brown.
- Place the fried egg rolls on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Put them on a baking sheet in a warm oven to keep them hot and crispy until you’re ready to serve them.
HOW TO AIR-FRY SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS
Deep fried rolls are the best way to make these, and air-fryer southwest egg rolls is the second best way to make them.
Put the rolls in the air-fryer and lightly spray with cooking oil.
Air-fry at 400°F (204°C) for 10 minutes, then flip them and fry for approximately 3 more minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
HOW TO BAKE SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C)
Spray or brush a thin coating of vegetable oil on the egg rolls and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Turn the egg rolls and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
If you want to make oil-free egg rolls, you can omit the oil. They don’t crisp up as well and they won’t brown like the fried or air-fried rolls.
CAN YOU MAKE VEGAN SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS IN ADVANCE?
Yes, these freeze well, so feel free to make them in advance.
HOW TO FREEZE VEGAN SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS
These are best frozen when they’re fried first.
Put the fried egg rolls on a plate or platter, make sure they don’t touch, and freeze for 10 minutes.
Once they’re slightly frozen, remove them from the freezer and place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat them on a baking sheet in a 375°F (190°C) oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until they’re crispy and heated through to the center.
MAKE SPOOKY FINGER SHAPED EGG ROLLS FOR HALLOWEEN
For a fun Halloween appetizer, roll the egg rolls into long finger shapes and score the center to look like knuckles.
After frying them, add an almond that was dipped in green food coloring to the end of the egg roll, adhere it with the guacamole.
It will look like a monster finger.
THE BEST TEX MEX EGG ROLL DIPPING SAUCE
Because the egg rolls are spicy, we like to pair them with a cool and refreshing dipping sauce.
WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic Guacamole makes a perfectly creamy vegan dipping sauce. And it’s so easy to make.
All you’ll need to do is add the classic guacamole, the juice from a lime, a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, and a quarter of a cup of water and blend until it’s smooth and creamy.
The flavor is cool, bright, tangy, and so fresh. It’s such a great compliment to the savory and spicy egg rolls.
MORE VEGAN APPETIZER YOU’LL LOVE
Make our crispy vegan Southwest Egg Roll recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
- 15 to 20 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 zucchini finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy Guacamole
- 3 tbsp vegan egg wash we use JUST egg
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic Guacamole
- ¼ cup water
- Juice from one large lime
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- For Frying
- 3 cups vegetable oil we prefer canola oil
Make the egg roll wrappers, click HERE for the recipe and instructions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, bell peppers, and zucchini and spread evenly in the pan.
- Cook until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add the 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, and salt and pepper to taste, stir to fully combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of the vegetable filling to the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Top with a liberal dollop of WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Spicy Guacamole.
- Fold one side of the wrapper over, then the other side, then the third side and roll to close the roll.
- Brush the roll with a light layer of egg wash.
- Heat the vegetable oil on high heat until it reaches 325°F (163°C) and add the egg rolls, making sure they don’t touch. SEE NOTE
- Fry for approximately 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry another 2 minutes, or until the entire egg roll is golden brown.
- Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Place on a baking sheet in a warm oven to keep crisp until ready to serve.
- For the Dipping Sauce
- Put the 1 cup WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic Guacamole, ¼ cup water, juice from 1 large lime, and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- The oil needs to be 325°F before you add the egg rolls. If it’s not hot enough the rolls will be soggy and greasy, not crispy and light.
- You’ll need to fry these in batches, so make sure there’s room between the rolls when frying so they don’t stick together.
- To Freeze
- Freeze the fried egg rolls on a platter for 10 minutes and then place in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, place the egg rolls on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F (176°C) oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until crispy and heated through to the center.