Mini vegan potato cup tacos are a great Mexican appetizer for your next party. Instead of taco shells, the potato holds all of the filling. They're the perfect vegan party food to pair with our guacamole with spinach and our vegan sweet potato and black bean empanadas.
This recipe was originally published on May 2, 2014 and updated on July 28, 2019.
Hi there! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
A TINY POTATO APPETIZER THAT TASTES LIKE A TACO
If you're looking for an easy and different twist on taco appetizers, our Mexican potato tacos are exactly what you need.
We took tri-colored potatoes and turned them into the best boiled baby potato recipe ever.
The textures and flavors create a delicious appetizer for your next get together.
You could also roast large potatoes and fill them for a full meal.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED FOR MEXICAN POTATO TACOS?
Because the potatoes help make the filling, you only need 10 simple ingredients to make these yummy mini potato tacos.
Here's what you'll need:
- One tbsp extra virgin olive oil - you can omit this and saute the vegetables in water or broth, although it will alter the flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds of baby potatoes – we like to use tri-colored potatoes because they look so pretty on the platter.
- 2 avocados
- 4 scallions – we use them in the potato filling and to garnish.
- One large Pablano pepper – this adds heat and texture.
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Two tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tomato – sliced into small pieces for garnishing.
- Cilantro for garnishing.
Optional - 1 cup Beyond Meat Feisty Crumbles for a meaty texture and added flavor.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MINI VEGAN POTATO CUP TACOS?
Par boil the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, or until they're just fork tender. You don't want them to be too soft or the skins will fall apart when you try to fill them.
Let cool until they're cool enough to handle, then cut in half and carefully scoop out the potato with a small spoon or a melon ball scoop. Leave enough to keep the skin firm and solid for filling.
Save the potato you scoop out because you'll need it for the filling.
Heat the olive oil and saute the pepper and scallions with the spices until the peppers and scallions soften. Add the meat crumbles if you're using them and stir until they're heated through.
Put the vegetable and meat filling in the bowl with the potatoes and stir to combine, then fill the potato cups.
Mash the avocado with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and lime juice in a medium bowl. Top the cups with the avocado and then garnish with the avocado, scallions, cilantro, and sliced tomato and eat well!
MORE VEGAN MEXICAN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
Make these Mini Vegan Potato Cup Tacos and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Mini Vegan Potato Cup Tacos
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes scrubbed clean. We use tri-color but you can use yellow or red.
- 2 avocados
- 4 scallions finely chop 3 of them and thinly slice the 4th for garnish
- 1 large Poblano pepper finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder divided
- 2 tsp cumin divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small tomato sliced for garnishing.
- ½ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 cup Beyond Meat Feisty Crumbles optional
- Fill a pot with water and add the potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until you can just pierce them with a fork. Drain and let cool.
- Once the potatoes are cool, cut them in half and carefully scoop out the flesh (leave enough potato around the skin so it doesn’t fall aparand put in a medium bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and sauté the pepper and scallions, and Beyond Meat Crumbles (is usinuntil softened, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and mash in a medium bowl with the remaining 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the pepper, onion, and crumble mixture to the reserved potato and stir to combine.
- Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture and top with the avocado and garnish with the cilantro, scallion, and tomato
- Serve immediately.