This post is sponsored by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas and includes tracking links. For more information about tracking links and how to opt out, please visit All About Do Not Track prior to clicking any links found in this post.
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Pound Cake is a dense and delicious cake with a light crumb that’s perfect for sharing. Whether you need to bake one big cake for a party, or several mini cakes for gifts, this vegan chocolate cake recipe is going to become one of your favorites.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
THE BEST CAKE FOR SHARING
One of our favorite winter activities, especially during the holidays, is baking together and then wrapping up in a fluffy blanket to watch our favorite movies.
There’s something so special about baking from scratch with the people you love, and then sharing what you made while enjoying movies that have become family traditions. It’s even better when friends join us!
Whether you’re watching holiday movies or hosting the big Thanksgiving meal, #BaketoShare with Nielsen-Massey Vanillas and make our vegan chocolate peppermint pound cake.
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE WITH VANILLA BEAN ICING
The combination of chocolate and peppermint is one of our favorite flavor duos.
The slightly bitter chocolate marries beautifully with the refreshing peppermint, and it’s perfect for the holidays.
To get the most natural and authentic peppermint flavor in our recipes, we always use Nielsen-Massey Pure Peppermint Extract. It’s made from the finest mint under the strictest quality standards. It has a fresh, peppermint flavor and is a favorite during the holiday season.
We also use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, because it’s the BEST vanilla extract we’ve found, and vanilla elevates the flavor of chocolate.
Madagascar Bourbon is the most versatile, all-purpose vanilla, perfect for any sweet or savory recipe. Vanilla from Madagascar has a sweet, creamy flavor with velvety after-tones, which pairs perfectly with chocolate.
It is made from premium, hand-selected and sustainably sourced Madagascar vanilla beans.
Nielsen-Massey uses a proprietary cold extraction process to gently draw out and preserve more than 300 delicate flavors to give you the richest tasting vanilla.
Additionally, we created a vanilla bean glaze to drizzle over the top of the cake, which adds another delicious dimension of flavor.
To create the sticky glaze with the most heavenly vanilla flavor, we chose Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste.
It’s crafted from their famous Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, along with real bean specks from the vanilla pod. The flavor profile is sweet, creamy and mellow with velvety after-tones.
The paste’s thick consistency (similar to molasses) enables you to add more delicious vanilla flavor without thinning out your batters or sauces.
It’s the ideal ingredient for the vanilla bean icing that we drizzled on the cake.
YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT POUND CAKE
We love this vegan pound cake recipe and we know you will, too.
- It makes a great gift. The holidays are all about sharing, and what could be better than giving a beautiful and delicious peppermint chocolate pound cake loaf to someone you love?
- It’s made with the finest extracts. When we say that you can’t top Nielsen-Massey vanillas and flavor extracts, we mean it. We’ve been using them for years, and nothing else compares.
- Our chocolate pound cake is made without shortening. We only use the finest vegan butter to make this cake, and you can taste the difference.
WHY WE LOVE NIELSEN-MASSEY VANILLAS
- Nielsen-Massey Vanillas is a third-generation family business, crafting premium vanilla products and flavors for since 1907.
- The brand’s high-quality flavor extracts are carefully made by slowly infusing botanical extractives into an alcohol base, a flavor carrier required by the FDA, to give you the best flavor.
- All of their products are all-natural, allergen-free, certified Kosher and Gluten-Free, and Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Each vanilla bean is hand-picked, hand-cured and carefully inspected to ensure it meets their strict quality standards.
- Their proprietary cold extraction process preserves more than 300 delicate flavor compounds to consistently deliver the richest tasting vanilla from around the world.
WHAT IS POUND CAKE?
Pound cake is a cake that’s traditionally made with one pound of butter, one pound of sugar, one pound of flour, and one pound of eggs.
To make this vegan pound cake, we used vegan butter and vegan eggs. We chose cake flour instead of all-purpose flour to give it a better texture.
We also changed the ratios of the flour, butter, sugar, and eggs, but it’s still a delightfully dense cake with a light crumb, and so easy to make.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT POUND CAKE
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together until fully combined.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on a high speed until it becomes light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
Add the vegan eggs and 3 teaspoons of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract and 2 teaspoons of Nielsen-Massey Peppermint Extract and beat on a high speed until the eggs are fully incorporated and the butter is light and fluffy.
When you first start beating the egg and butter mixture, it may look curdled, just keep beating until it’s light, fluffy, and smooth.
Add one third of the flour and cocoa mixture and beat on a low setting while adding one third of the milk. Alternate adding the flour and milk until they’re just combined.
Make sure to scrape any butter that may cling to the side of the bowl if needed.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to finish mixing the cake batter. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so the butter is fully combined with the flour and milk.
Evenly scrape the cake batter into the pan and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until the cake begins to separate from the side of the pan and bounces back when the top is gently pressed.
You can also use a long wooden toothpick to check to see if it’s done. Insert it into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 20 minutes, then invert it onto the cooling rack and let it cool completely before adding the icing.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST VEGAN POUND CAKE
The butter should be at room temperature. Cold butter doesn’t whip up as light and fluffy.
Don’t be afraid to beat the butter and sugar on a high speed. The higher the speed the lighter and fluffier it will be because this creates more air pockets in the butter, and ultimately in the cake.
For the best flavor, use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Peppermint Extract.
Beat the butter and vegan eggs on a high speed until it becomes light and fluffy.
Don’t over mix the flour into the batter. Mix it until it’s just combined with the butter and sugar mixture and then use a spatula to finish mixing.
Make sure that the oven is fully preheated before putting the cake in the oven. If it hasn’t finished preheating you won’t get the best results.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT VANILLA BEAN GLAZE
Pound cake should always have a sweet and sticky glaze drizzled over the top.
It adds extra flavor and moisture to the cake.
Our vanilla bean glaze is so delicious because we use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste.
We chose their vanilla bean paste over extract because of the paste’s thick consistency.
To make this easy vanilla bean glaze, follow these steps:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of your favorite plant-based milk.
- Stir until the ingredients turn into a smooth and creamy glaze. It should be thin enough to drizzle over the pound cake.
BUNDT CAKE, LOAF CAKE, OR MINI LOAF CAKES ARE GREAT FOR SHARING
Every holiday season we give our neighbors something baked from our kitchen. We love baking to share, and it also makes people realize how delicious vegan food is.
This year, we’ll be sharing our chocolate peppermint pound cake in several different ways.
CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE
We love a good bundt cake. Who doesn’t?
If you want to make a big impression, just pour the cake batter into a well-greased bundt pan and bake for approximately 1 hour.
CHOCOLATE LOAF CAKE
A traditional pound cake is made in a loaf pan. We use a 9-inch (23cm) bread loaf pan.
Pour the batter into a well-greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour.
MINI CHOCOLATE CAKES
If you have a mini cake loaf pan, you can make cute little single serving cakes.
Divide the batter into the individual pans and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
Wrap the cake up in clear cellophane, tie it with your favorite ribbon, and tuck a sprig of fresh mint in the ribbon for a pretty and festive presentation.
HOLIDAY FLAVOR BUNDLES FROM NIELSEN-MASSEY VANILLAS
Whenever you bake, it’s so important to use the finest quality of ingredients possible.
To help you create the most scrumptious holiday treats, Nielsen-Massey has introduced a Holiday Flavors Bundle on Amazon, featuring some of the season’s most popular flavors:
Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, Pure Almond Extract (see this recipe for a savory way to use almond extract) and Pure Peppermint Extract.
The Holiday Flavors Bundle is the perfect gift for your favorite home baker or to use in your own kitchen cabinet year-round.
It is available on Amazon in 2- and 4-ounce sizes. Order by December 20 to receive by Christmas Eve. Keep your eye out for special holiday promotions throughout November and December.
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas is offering an exclusive deal for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Starting on November 29 th, you can get 30% off their 4 oz. Holiday Flavors Bundle. This offer is available for a limited time! (limit one per person)
MORE NIELSEN-MASSEY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Make our vegan peppermint chocolate pound cake recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter room temperature, SEE NOTE
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Peppermint Extract
- 5 vegan eggs SEE NOTE
- 1 cup plant-based milk SEE NOTE
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 to 3 tbsp plant-based milk SEE NOTE
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and grease the pan, SEE NOTE
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the 3 cups flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, and ½ tsp sea salt until completely combined
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the 1 ½ cups vegan butter and 2 cups of sugar on a high speed until light and fluffy. Be patient and allow the butter to develop air pockets so it gets really fluffy.
- Add the 2 tsp of Nielsen-Massey Pure Peppermint Extract, 3 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, and 5 vegan eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and beat on a high speed until light and fluffy. The butter may look like it curdled at first, just keep beating, it will turn creamy and fluffy.
- Once the butter and egg mixture is light and fluffy, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat on a low speed until it just begins to combine.
- Add 1/3 of the milk and beat until just combined
- Alternate with the flour and milk until all of it is just combined.
- Remove the mixing bowl and finish stirring with a spatula, scraping the bottom to make sure that all of the butter is mixed into the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick is inserted into the center comes out clean.
- VEGAN BUTTER - the butter should be brought to room temperature before beating with the sugar. If it’s chilled or too warm, you won’t get the best results.
- VEGAN EGGS – for best results, we suggest using JUST egg or Follow Your Heart. Follow the instruction on the package for measurements.
- PLANT-BASED MILK – You can use any plant milk for this recipe. Coconut milk may lend a slight coconut flavor to the cake, so only use it if you don’t mind the flavor.
- BUNDT CAKE – Grease the pan and fill with the cake batter, stop filling about an inch before the top of the pan.
- LOAF PAN – Grease the pan and fill with cake batter, stop filling about an inch before the top of the pan.
- MINI LOAF PAN – Grease the individual pans and fill with cake batter, stop filling about a half of an inch before the top of the pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.