Crispy deep fried or air fried pickles? We're giving you the option with our easy and delicious Southern-style fried pickle recipe.
Hi there! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
CRISPY AND SPICY FRIED PICKLES THAT ARE EASY TO MAKE
Y'all need to try this vegan fried pickle recipe today!
We're not trying to be pushy, we just don't want you to miss out on one of the best Southern appetizers ever!
Linda fell in love with fried pickles when she was a kid, thanks to her Southern mom and the annual road trips that she and her family took throughout the Southeast.
And, because tradition and family run deep in the Meyer pack, deep fried pickles are now a family favorite, especially during football season.
Seriously, they're the best football food of all time.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE FRIED PICKLES?
You don't need a lot of ingredients to make spicy fried pickles, and you probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
Here's what you'll need to make our crispy fried pickles:
- 3 cups of dill pickle chips
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (do not use coconut milk)
- 2 cups of panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of ground smoked paprika
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN FRIED PICKLES?
This is how you make easy fried pickles.
Dry the pickles. This will help the breading to adhere to them.
Evenly scatter the pickles on several pieces of paper towel and then press a few layers of paper towels on top of the pickles. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Whisk the flour and spices together until fully combined.
- Dredge a pickle in the flour.
- Then dunk it in the milk.
- Roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Place evenly on a parchment lined baking pan.
Deep fry or air fry the pickles until they're crispy and golden brown.
HOW DO YOU DEEP FRY PICKLES?
Fill the bottom of the pan with two inches of vegetable oil. We prefer canola oil for it's high heat index.
Heat the oil on high heat. Test the oil by putting a bit of leftover breading in the pan. If the oil sizzles, it's ready.
NOTE: The oil should really sizzle when the pickles are placed in the pan. A light sizzle won't do it, you want a snap, crackle, pop kind of sizzle to ensure that the breading will get crispy and the pickles won't taste greasy.
Use tongs to add the pickles to the oil Cook one batch at a time. You don't want the pickles to be crammed into the pan.
Fry for approximately 2 to 3 minutes and flip and fry the other side for another 2 to three minutes.
You want them to be golden brown and crispy.
When they're golden and crispy, take them out of the pan and place on a bed of paper towels to let the excess oil drain.
HOW DO YOU AIR FRY PICKLES?
You'll want to follow the instructions on your air fryer to ensure the best results.
- preheat the air fryer to 400 F. (200 C).
- Spray a light coating of vegetable oil on top.
- Air fry for 10 minutes.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE CRISPIEST FRIED PICKLES
Use panko breadcrumbs for the crispiest pickles.
If deep frying, make sure that the oil is really hot before frying or you'll end up with soggy and greasy pickles.
For the air fryer, spray a light coating of oil on top of the pickles before frying.
Fry to a beautiful golden brown color.
WHAT IS A GOOD DIPPING SAUCE FOR FRIED PICKLES?
We LOVE our Vegan Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. It makes the perfect dipping sauce for fried pickles.
Make this delicious vegan snack and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Crispy Deep Fried or Air Fried Pickles
- 3 cups dill pickle chips or spears
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plant-based milk do NOT use coconut milk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Place the pickles on a bed of paper towels and cover with a paper towel to absorb the excess liquid. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the 2 cups flour, 1 tbsp cumin, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp pepper, and salt to taste until well combined.
- Pour the 1 cup milk in a bowl and put the 2 cups panko breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the prepared pickles on the paper before frying.
- Dredge a pickle in the flour to coat, then dip in the milk, and dredge in the breadcrumbs to coat. Continue with the rest of the pickles.
TO DEEP FRY
- Cover the bottom of a skillet with two inches of canola oil (see note) and heat on high heat until very hot. To test if it's ready for frying, add a bit of the breadcrumbs to the oil. If it really sizzles, it's ready.
- Using tongs, carefully add the pickles to the oil (leave enough room between them so they can cook properly) and fry for approximately 3 minutes per side, or until they're golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
TO AIR FRY
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. (200 C).
- Spray a light coating of oil on the tops of the pickles and air fry for 10 minutes.
- The Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.
- We use canola oil for frying because it has a high heat point.