Crispy Stuffed Potato Skins are exactly what you need at your next vegan game day party! These delicious baked potato appetizers are filled with vegan taco filling and cheesy potatoes, then topped with crushed pepita seeds, green onion, and fresh tomatoes. The best party food! Eat them with guacamole and a refreshing margarita.
This recipe was originally published on July 11, 2014 and updated on August 30, 2019.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
FINGER FOOD PARTY APPETIZERS
If you want to impress your guests with a delicious finger food party appetizer, then it's time to break out the big guns, y’all. Loaded potato skins!
Vegetarian stuffed potatoes take a little bit of time to make, but they’re so worth it!
They’re not hard to make, they’re actually easy, it’s just a matter of baking the potatoes, making the filling, and then constructing them.
The time it take you to make them will be rewarded by all of the rave reviews that you’ll get after everyone devours them.
WHAT INGREDIENTS GO INTO POTATO SKINS FILLING?
You can fill potato skins with pretty much anything, and we like to go with lots of flavor, texture, and spice.
The ingredients in this recipe actually makes the potato skins healthy.
- Obviously, we start with potatoes.
- Then, our Healthy Taco Filling (you can leave the beans out to make it simpler).
- Or, if you’re in a hurry, use Beyond Meat Crumbles.
- To season, we use nutritional yeast, which gives the potatoes a nice cheesy flavor.
- Mexican spices, such as chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Then we top them with chopped roasted pepitas, green onions, pickled jalapenos, and fresh tomato.
There are so many flavors and textures in this vegetarian potato skins recipe, and that’s what makes them so good.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY VEGAN POTATO SKINS
Scrub the potatoes under cool water and pierce with a fork a few times. Bake them for approximately 40 to 45 minutes, or until they’re just fork tender. For ultra crispy skins, lightly oil the potatoes.
You don’t want them to be too soft or the skins will fall apart.
While the potatoes are baking, make the taco filling
If you don’t want to make the filling you can saute a diced onion, garlic, vegan beef crumbles, and spices. Use the same seasoning ingredients and instructions from the taco filling.
Let the potatoes cool until you can handle them without burning your hands.
Cut them in half vertically and scoop out the potato, leaving about a quarter of an inch of potato attached to the skin.
Mix the scooped-out potato with nutritional yeast and salt and pepper until creamy and totally combined.
Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture and taco filling and bake for 10 minutes to heat through.
Top with the chopped pepitas, green onion, pickled jalapeno, tomato, and cilantro.
WHAT GOES WITH POTATO SKINS?
Serve our crispy potato skins with these vegan appetizers for a great party!
OTHER VEGAN POTATO RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
Make this crispy vegan stuffed potato skin recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Crispy Stuffed Potato Skins
- 1 Oven
- 3 medium russet potatoes scrubbed clean and poked with a sharp knife or the tines of a fork several times.
- 4 cups taco filling SEE NOTE
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup roasted pepita seeds chopped
- ½ cup green onions
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 large tomato finely diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Scrub the potatoes under cool water and pierce with a fork or a sharp knife a few times. Bake them for approximately 40 to 45 minutes, or until they’re just fork tender (You don’t want them to be too soft or the skins will fall apart). For ultra crispy skins, lightly oil the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the taco filling. SEE NOTE
- Let the potatoes cool until you can handle them without burning your hands.
- Cut them in half vertically and scoop out the potato, leaving about a quarter of an inch of potato attached to the skin.
- Mix the scooped-out potato with nutritional yeast and salt and pepper until creamy and totally combined.
- Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture and taco filling and bake for 10 minutes to heat through. Brush a light layer of olive oil on the skin if you want it to be extra crispy.
- Top with the chopped pepitas, green onion, pickled jalapeno, tomato, and cilantro.