In the Midwest, puppy chow is a childhood staple! We can't remember a single swim meet, tennis match, or soccer game without a huge bowl of puppy chow sitting on the sidelines. This vegan puppy chow is super easy to make and just as delicious as the traditional chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar recipe!
This recipe was originally posted on February 1, 2014 and updated on August 26, 2019.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
Click on the titles to check them out. GREAT VEGAN BBQ WITHOUT A GRILL and THE ULTIMATE VEGAN COOKBOOK.
WHAT IS PUPPY CHOW?
True story, I was going to a spontaneous neighborhood happy hour a few weeks ago and told my friend that I only had puppy chow to bring.
She was SO confused and asked if I had lost my mind. She actually thought I was going to bring dog kibble!! LOL!!
It surprised me that she had never heard of it before, I mean, where has she been living?
After I finished laughing, I explained that it's a delicious chocolate peanut butter cereal snack.
Puppy chow, aka muddy buddies, is traditionally a peanut butter and chocolate Chex Mix recipe tossed in powdered sugar.
It's a crunchy sweet snack that kids and adults love snacking on.
Now that we've made a gluten-free and dairy-free muddy buddies recipe (I'm going to use both names since people in different regions call it one or the other), almost anyone can enjoy them.
WHAT MAKES TRADITIONAL PUPPY CHOW NOT VEGAN?
- Butter - The first vegan replacement on the list is finding a vegan butter! This recipe is open to a variety of vegan butters. We've found that different vegan butter replacements have different consistencies and each work in different ways! Here you have the opportunity to use any vegan butter you like. We've tested all the big ones and all of them work great!
- Chocolate Chips - When we first went vegan we were shocked at how many chocolate chips weren't vegan! Dairy tends to sneak its way into a lot of unsuspecting products and can easily sneak up on anyone not willing to read the fine print. However, we've found so many awesome vegan chocolate chips to use in our vegan puppy chow! Here are some of our favorites!
- Powdered Sugar - Certain sugars contain bone char. Here is a list of sugars that don't!
- Wholesome Vegan Powdered Sugar
- 365 Organic Powdered Sugar
- Thrive Market Powdered Sugar
HOW DO I MAKE THIS PUPPY CHOW FOR HUMANS RECIPE?
- Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and vegan butter all together in one bowl (microwave for 30 sec increments until it is completely combined and smooth)
- Put the cereal in a separate bowl
- Pour the chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix
- Separate the cereal into two separate gallon re-sealable bags
- Start with ⅓ cup of powdered sugar in each bag and shake (if not white yet, keep adding sugar until desired appearance)
HOW DO I STORE PUPPY CHOW?
Store it in a clean mason jar or dish and cover. It should be kept in the refrigerator and will last for 5 days.
You can also freeze it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
MORE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SNACKS YOU'LL LOVE
PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE POPCORN
NO BAKE PEANUT BUTTER CUP ENERGY BITES
Make this and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
Let’s connect on Instagram and Twitter. You’ll get a peek into our everyday lives in our stories and see what we’re sharing in our feed.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan Puppy Chow
- 7 cups of a chex-like cereal choose rice or corn to make it gluten-free
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and vegan butter all together in one bowl (microwave for 30 sec increments until it is completely combined and smooth). Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Put the cereal in a separate bowl.
- Pour the chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix.
- Separate the cereal into two separate gallon re-sealable bags.
- Start with ⅓ cup of powdered sugar in each bag and shake (if not white yet, keep adding sugar until desired appearance).
What about the vanilla extract?
Linda Meyer says
Hi Maril, oops, sorry about that! Stir the vanilla into the melted chocolate, butter, and peanut butter.
Christine @ Run Plant Based says
Great recipe, fun and simple. Thanks!
Linda Meyer says
That is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Simple but very precise info… Thank you for sharing this one.
A must read post!
Linda Meyer says