Roasted rosemary and sage home fries is an easy recipe so you can make delicious frites at home in the oven. All you'll need to do is slice the potatoes, season, and then roast. The herbs elevate this home fries recipe! If you're a fan of fries, you should also check out our Oven Baked Curry Carrot Fries, Oil-Free Chipotle Home Fries, and our Cuban Sweet Potato Fries.
Originally published on March 7, 2014 and updated on July 22, 2019.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
HOME FRIES RECIPE WITH FRESH HERBS THAT YOU CAN MAKE IN THE OVEN
This is such an easy roasted sage potato recipe and it requires very little prep work.
All you need to do is clean the potatoes, slice, and cover them with olive oil, dried rosemary and sage, and salt and pepper. Then roast them for thirty minutes.
The result, savory and delicious sliced home fries that are better for you than the deep fried, over salted, fast food variety.
The rosemary and sage lends an elegance to the taste and appearance. Elegant French fries, who would have thought? 😉
WHY IS IT BETTER TO MAKE FRIES IN THE OVEN?
You don't need to deep fry potatoes to make crispy French fries, a hot oven will do the trick.
Here are the reasons we love to make fries in the oven:
- Less oil
- Fewer calories
- Easier clean up
What's not to love?
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE ROSEMARY & SAGE HOME FRIES?
This is so a simple recipe and you only need 6 ingredients to make oven baked French fries.
- 3 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - you can use any vegetable oil, we just prefer the rich flavor of olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE HOME FRIES IN THE OVEN
Scrub the potatoes, dry them, and remove any black spots that remain on the potato skin.
Slice the potatoes into thick wedges and place in a large bowl.
In a small dish, whisk the spices together until combined.
Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle the spices on top. Use your hands to coat the potatoes with the oil and spices and then spread the potatoes on the sheet. Make sure that they don't overlap. Roast for approximately 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy and then flip and roast for another 15 minutes, or until both sides of the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE CRISPIEST HOME FRIES
- Don't skimp on the oil. The oil will help the fries get crispy on the outside and keep them tender on the inside.
- Make sure that the potatoes have a bit of room on the baking sheet. Don't pile them up or the steam will make them soggy.
- Flip them after 15 minutes so both sides get crispy.
- Bake them until both sides are golden brown.
Make our oven roasted home fries and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Roasted Rosemary & Sage Home Fries
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt add more if you want a salty fry
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil you can use any vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C)
- Scrub the potatoes and dry them. Remove any black spots that may remain on the potatoes.
- Slice into thick wedges.
- Whisk the spices together in a small dish.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the spices and oil until they're completely coated.
- Evenly spread the potatoes on a baking sheet. Leave room between the potatoes so they don't create steam, which will result in a soggy fry.
- Roast for 15 minutes and then flip and roast another 15 minutes or until both sides are crispy and golden brown.