Published on Oct. 14, 2014 and updated Oct. 21, 2019.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
THE BEST SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
My mom is a Southern woman, and she knows cornbread.
Not a week went by that we didn’t have a skillet of hot and buttery sweet cornbread at the dinner table.
It was divine. I mean, who doesn't like a thick slice of cornbread that's slightly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside?
When I had my kids, I vowed to myself that they would experience healthy homemade food at the dinner table every single night, just like I did.
Cornbread was often on the menu.
Unlike my mom, I was more adventurous when it came to seasoning food.
Instead of always making her sweet cornbread, I created a savory Italian cornbread.
I even made a deep dish pizza with the savory cornbread recipe. Check it out here.
But I digress, because this is all about my mom’s classic recipe, which in my opinion, is the very best cornbread ever!
VEGAN SKILLET CORNBREAD
We like to make cornbread in a cast-iron skillet for several reasons.
- Cast-iron heats evenly, which will help your cornbread bake evenly.
- It retains heat, so you can serve it warm twenty minutes after taking it out of the oven.
- You don’t need to transfer it to a platter, because the presentation is always fun.
- If you don’t have or want to make cornbread in a skillet, you can bake it in a square or rectangular baking pan, or you can even make vegan cornbread muffins.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN CORNBREAD
Preheat the oven to 400°f (204°C). Do not put the cornbread in the oven before it reaches 400°F or it will not bake evenly. For best results, wait 10 minutes after it reaches the desired temperature.
Spread a light layer of vegan butter on the sides and bottom of a 10-inch iron skillet (12 inch) or a 9-inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, Combine the dry ingredients with a whisk until completely blended.
Add the wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
Pour the batter into the pan and spread it evenly throughout the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and the sides are separating from the pan.
Serve it warm with vegan butter.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST EGG-FREE AND DAIRY-FREE CORNBREAD
- Use a finely ground cornmeal to avoid a gritty texture.
- We suggest using a mild plant-based milk, such as almond, cashew, pea, or oat milk. Avoid coconut milk.
- Our favorite vegan butter for baking is Miyoko’s or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
- Make sure that the oven is completely preheated before putting the cornbread in the oven.
- Bake it until the sides begin to separate from the pan and it bounces back when you gently press the top of the cornbread.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OUR EASY CORNBREAD RECIPE
Make our easy vegan cornbread recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
EASY VEGAN SKILLET CORNBREAD
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups yellow cornmeal finely ground is best
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk or any plant-based milk, except for coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Make sure the oven is fully preheated before putting the cornbread in the oven or it won’t bake evenly.
- Rub a layer of vegan butter over the sides and bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup cornmeal, ¼ cup sugar, 2 teaspoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt until completely combined.
- Add the 1 cup almond milk, ¼ cup vegetable oil, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, and ¼ cup apple sauce and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and the sides are separating from the pan. Check for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Serve warm with vegan butter.