This easy vegan lemon meringue pie recipe is made with a tangy fresh vegan lemon curd, a fluffy aquafaba meringue, and our flaky homemade vegan pie crust. This no bake vegan lemon pie is dairy-free and egg-free.
If you're looking for a vegetarian lemon meringue pie that's eggless, dairy-free, and doesn't contain gelatin, this is it!
The lemon pie filling is made with our smooth and creamy vegan lemon curd and the light and airy vegan meringue is made with torched aquafaba.
This homemade lemon meringue pie is made with a few simple ingredients that create the best flavor and texture.
We don't recommend substitutions because we want you to make a pie that no one will believe is vegan.
- Pie Crust - you can make your own pie crust or use store bought. For gluten-free lemon meringue pie, use a GF crust. The filling and meringue is gluten-free
- Vegan Egg - to make the richest and most authentic lemon curd filling you'll need Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg.
- Corn Starch
- Aquafaba - this is the liquid you'll find in a can of chickpeas. Click the link to read about, what is aquafaba?
How to Make the Vegan Lemon Pie Filling
It’s not as difficult as you think. In fact, it’s pretty straightforward.
Before you make the filling, make or buy the pie crust and bake it as instructed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Vegan Aquafaba Meringue
Once the pie crust is baked and the filling is made, the pie comes together quickly.
Patience. Aquafaba can take longer to turn into meringue, so don't give up, it will happen.
Cream of Tartar. It’s a stabilizer and it helps the aquafaba become thick and stiff like egg meringue.
A Good Mixer. We love our Kitchenaid stand mixer. It comes with a whisk attachment that makes perfect vegan meringue.
Make the meringue just before serving and spread it over a chilled pie. This will prevent the meringue from deflating and melting into the filling.
Be sure to add the cream of tartar, as it's a good stabilizer. Additionally, start beating on the medium setting and once it begins to thicken you can turn the setting on high to finish the meringue.
Spread the meringue on a chilled pie and don't allow it to get too warm or it will begin to flatten.
Adding corn starch to the filling will help thicken it and keep it from getting watery.
Yes, it's a stabilizer and will prevent it from flattening too soon.
This is best eaten immediately. Store it it the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can freeze the lemon pie without the meringue. Thaw in the refrigerator and make the meringue and add it to the pie just before serving.
More Vegan Pie Recipes
Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie with Aquafaba
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 1 stove
- 1 Oven
For the Pie Crust
- 1 vegan pie crust see link for our homemade recipe in instructions or buy one
For the Lemon Curd Filling
- 4 tablespoons Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg PLUS 1 cup water SEE NOTE!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar see note
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice see note
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
For the Meringue
- 1 cup garbanzo bean juice aquafaba
- ¾ cup sugar see note
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar see note
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- If making homemade pie crust Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- FOR THE PIE CRUST Recipe
- Bake the pie crust in a 9-inch (23 c(shalloround pie pan for 40 minutes, or until just golden brown. Line the bottom of the crust with parchment paper and cover dried beans to prevent bubbling while baking. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Dispose of parchment paper and beans after baking.
- FOR THE LEMON FILLING
- In a small bowl, whisk the 4 tablespoon of Follow Your Heart vegan egg and 1 cup water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, whisk the 1 cup water, ¾ cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoon cornstarch, and ¼ teaspoon salt together on medium heat. Keep whisking until the mixture comes to a low boil and is thick and creamy, and translucent.
- Slowly add 1 cup of the lemon mixture to the vegan egg and vigorously whisk until combined. This prevents the egg from curdling.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the pan of lemon mixture and VIGOROUSLY whisk continuously until it just begins to boil and is thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and whisk in the 2 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set.
- FOR THE MERINGUE
- In a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, add the 1 cup of aquafaba, ¾ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and beat on the medium setting until the meringue begins to thicken, approximately 4 minutes. Turn off the mixer and scrape the sides and then beat on high until it forms stiff peaks, approximately 5 to 7 minutes or longer.Depending on the aquafaba it can take 15 minutes or more for it to turn to meringue. Don’t give up, it takes time.
- Use a spatula to evenly spread the meringue over the lemon filling and use the spatula to create peaks on top.
- Place the pie under a broiler for a minute or two to brown the peaks, or use a kitchen torch to brown the peaks of the meringue. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- We use Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg to make the most authentic vegan lemon cur. DO NOT use Bob’s Red Mill, EnerG, or any other similar egg replacer, it will not turn out.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best result.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze the lemon pie without the meringue in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and make and add the meringue before serving.
- Nutritional Disclaimer