This easy lemon meringue pie recipe with aquafaba will blow your mind! Made with a tangy and sweet lemon pie filling and a sweet aquafaba meringue, it looks and tastes exactly like the pie recipe we used to make before we went vegan. The good news, this lemon pie recipe is egg-free and dairy-free. If you love lemons as much as we do, you’re going to love this pie. You should also try our Lemon & Dill Potato Salad, Fried Lemons, and Lemon Watermelon Granita.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there, we’re Linda and Alex (mother & daughter)! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern and Midwestern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
FOOD MADE WITH LEMONS IS THE BEST
Where are our lemon lovers at? We’re guessing that you came to visit the second you saw that we created a vegan lemon meringue pie?
Who would have thought that it was even possible to make a lemon pie filling without eggs, or an egg-free vegan meringue?
As impossible as it may seem, it’s absolutely possible, and it’s just as good as a traditional lemon meringue pie.
You have no idea how excited we are about this pie, because as you may know, we LOVE lemons!
THE BEST VEGAN LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE
My grandmother and mother made the best lemon meringue pie.
It was tangy and sweet with the perfect texture that only lemon pie curd has.
Happily, we’ve continued the tradition with this egg-free lemon meringue pie.
Their homemade lemon meringue pie was the best, and now our vegan version is the best.
It’s a tried and true lemon pie recipe that everyone raves about, and you will too.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LEMON CURD
It’s not as difficult as you think. In fact, it’s pretty straightforward.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk the sugar, corn starch, and water until the sugar dissolves and it begins to bubble and thicken.
If you’re using Follow Your Hear Vegan Egg, whisk the powder and water together in a bowl until it’s thick and creamy. If you’re using JUST Egg, pour it in a bowl.
Slowly pour a cup of the hot sugar mixture into the egg while whisking vigorously.
Make sure to whisk well so the egg doesn’t begin to curdle.
Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan of sugar mixture, while whisking vigorously, until it’s completely incorporated.
For the purpose of the pie, your going to pour the lemon curd into the baked pie crust.
If you’re making curd for another purpose, or for future use, put it in a sterilized mason jar and cover it tightly. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
TIPS FOR MAKING VEGAN LEMON CURD
- Whisk the sugar water until it’s thick and translucent. It will be hot and bubbly when it’s ready.
- Add the hot sugar water to the vegan egg slowly and vigorously whisk it in to prevent it from curdling.
- Again, vigorously whisk the vegan egg into the molten sugar mixture and keep whisking until it’s smooth and creamy and completely incorporated
WHAT IS AQUAFABA?
Aquafaba is the liquid in a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or the leftover water after boiling homemade chickpeas.
Even though aquafaba doesn’t have the same proteins as egg whites, the chemical structure acts the same when you whip it with a stabilizer, such as cream of tartar.
To learn more about this magical potion, click HERE.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MERINGUE WITH AQUAFABA
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and add the cream of tarter, vanilla extract, and caster sugar.
- Use a whisk attachment and begin whipping on the highest setting of your mixer.
- Depending on the power of your mixer, the time can vary for how long it takes for the aquafaba to begin to thicken.
- It takes approximately 5 to 7 minutes for it to turn into a meringue with stiff peaks in our mixer. We’ve heard of some people beating the aquafaba for as long as 10 to 12 minutes, so be patient.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT VEGAN MERINGUE
Patience. Unless you have a bad batch (?) of aquafaba, it will happen.
Cream of Tartar. It’s a stabilizer and it helps the aquafaba become thick and stiff like egg meringue.
A good mixer. We love our Kitchenaid stand mixer. It comes with a whisk attachment that makes perfect vegan meringue.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Make our flaky pie crust or buy a vegan ready made pie crust. Look below for more details.
Make the lemon pie filling and pour it into the pie crust. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight so it sets.
Whip up the meringue and evenly drop it on top of the lemon curd pie filling.
Use a spatula to create peaks.
For best results, use a kitchen torch to brown the peaks of the meringue.
If you don’t have a torch you can put the pie under the broiler until the peaks are golden brown. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn!
THE BEST HOMEMADE VEGAN PIE CRUST
If you prefer to make your own pie crust, we get you. We do, too.
Our flaky pie crust is so delicious and well reviewed by our followers.
Click HERE for the recipe.
GOOD STORE BOUGHT VEGAN PIE CRUSTS
If you’re not into making homemade pie crust, here are a few accidentally vegan brands that we recommend.
Just be sure to read the ingredients list carefully, as they can change.
- Whole Foods Vegan Pie Shells
- Marie Callender’s Frozen Ready Made Pie Crust
OTHER VEGAN PIES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Make our vegan lemon meringue pie recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe.
Homemade vegan lemon meringue pie that tastes exactly like the pie we used to make with eggs! Try it and you'll fall in love! NOTE: The total time to make this includes the time for chilling to set the pie filling.
- FOR THE FILLING
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg plus 1 cup water, OR, 3/4 cup of JUST egg. DO NOT add water to the JUST egg. SEE NOTE!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar see note
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice see note
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- FOR THE PIE CRUST
- 1 vegan pie crust see link for our homemade recipe in instructions or buy one
- FOR THE MERINGUE
- 1 cup garbanzo bean juice aquafaba
- ¾ cup caster sugar see note
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar see note
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
If making homemade pie crust Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
FOR THE PIE CRUST
Bake the pie crust in a 9-inch (23 c(shalloround pie pan for 40 minutes, or until just golden brown. Line the bottom of the crust with parchment paper and cover dried beans to prevent bubbling while baking. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Dispose of parchment paper and beans after baking.
FOR THE LEMON FILLING
In a small bowl, whisk the 4 tbsp of Follow Your Heart vegan egg and 1 cup water until smooth and creamy. Set aside. If you're using JUST egg, you DO NOT need to add water to it.
In a large sauce pan, whisk the 1 cup water, ¾ cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, 3 tbsp cornstarch, and ¼ tsp salt together on medium heat. Keep whisking until the mixture comes to a low boil and is thick and creamy, and translucent.
Slowly add 1 cup of the lemon mixture to the vegan egg and vigorously whisk until combined. This prevents the egg from curdling.
Slowly add the egg mixture to the pan of lemon mixture and VIGOROUSLY whisk continuously until it just begins to boil and is thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and whisk in the 2 tbsp of lemon zest.
Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 6 hours to set.
FOR THE MERINGUE
In a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, add the 1 cup of aquafaba, ¾ cup caster sugar, ¼ tsp cream of tartar, and 1 ½ tsp of pure vanilla extract and beat on the highest setting until the meringue begins to thicken, approximately 4 minutes. Turn off the mixer and scrape the sides and then beat for another 4 t 6 minutes or until it forms stiff peaks.
Depending on the aquafaba it can take 15 minutes or more for it to turn to meringue. Don’t give up, it takes time.
Use a spatula to cover the lemon filling and create peaks on top.
Place the pie under a broiler (a minute or twor use a torch to brown the peaks of the meringue. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn.
We use Follow Your Heart or JUST vegan egg. DO NOT use Bob’s Red Mill, EnerG, or any other similar egg replacer, it will not turn out.
Granulated sugar may contain bone char, which isn’t vegan. Buy organic or beet sugar.
Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best result.
If you can’t find caster sugar (finely ground granulate sugar), you can make your own in a food processor, blender, or spice grinder.
Nutrition Fact Information
- We use Follow Your Heart or JUST vegan egg. If you use JUST egg, DO NOT add the additional cup of water to the filling mixture. You only add ONE cup of water. If you use Follow Your Heart, you add one cup of water to the 4 tbsp of the egg powder to make the vegan eggs. DO NOT use Bob’s Red Mill, EnerG, or any other similar egg replacer, it will not turn out.
- Granulated sugar may contain bone char, which isn’t vegan. Buy organic or beet sugar.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best result.
- If you can’t find caster sugar (finely ground granulate sugar), you can make your own in a food processor, blender, or spice grinder.
- Nutritional Disclaimer