This easy vegan lemon cookie recipe is made with a homemade vegan lemon curd and a simple vegan sugar cookie base. This classic lemon cookie is perfect for any season and any occasion.
Vegan lemon thumbprint cookies are perfect for Mother’s Day, wedding and baby showers, a tea party, or anytime you want a lemon filled cookie recipe.
This recipe was requested by one of our subscribers. It’s similar to our Vegan Lemon Knot Cookies – Egg-Free and Dairy-Free, which was inspired by the Starbucks Lemon Knot Cookies they used to sell.
Here's a visual overview of the ingredients used for this vegan lemon cookie recipe. See detailed notes below.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Vegan Butter - we get the best results with Miyoko's or Earth Balance brands.
Vegan Egg - Just Egg is the easiest egg replacer to use. We also like Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg or Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer.
Lemon - Lemon zest is a vital ingredient in the recipe, so fresh lemons are best.
This is a quick and easy 3 step recipe. Here is a visual overview of the vegan lemon curd, vegan sugar cookies, and the construction of the cookies with simple guidelines.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LEMON CURD - EGG AND DAIRY-FREE
HOW TO MAKE LEMON COOKIES
- Chocolate - Place vegan chocolate chips or piece of chocolate into the indentation.
- Jam - Put your favorite fruit jam in the indentation.
- Peanut Butter Cup - Add a vegan peanut butter cup.
- Caramel - Add our 3 Ingredient Date Caramel to the centers.
Most vegan cookies are made with unsaturated fats, so in that respect, they're better than those made with dairy and eggs. However, vegan cookies are generally not to be thought of as healthy.
If you leave out the leavening you'll end up with vegan shortbread cookies, which are denser and more crumbly.
Store them covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes. Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Vegan Cookie Recipes
Easy Vegan Lemon Cookies
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 Oven
- 1 cooling rack
- 1 Lemon Curd Recipe Get the recipe in the instructions portion of the card.
- ¾ cup vegan butter room temperature
- ¼ cup vegan shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan egg See Note
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, beat the ¾ cup butter, ¼ cup vegan shortening, and 1 cup sugar until creamy and lightly whipped.
- Add the vegan egg and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt until combined.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture and slowly beat until just combined.
- Roll into 1-inch (1 tablespoon) balls and flatten into discs. Place on a cookie sheet.
- With a teaspoon or your thumb, press indentations into the center of the cookies and fill with the lemon curd.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are a light golden brown.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Christine @ RunPlantBased.com says
These look wonderful and such a great recipe to look forward to spring. Thanks!
Linda & Alex says
Hey Christine, Thanks so much for the comment! We're already itching for Spring to begin over here (I know... we have a long time to wait) and it clearly shows in our recipes right now haha.
Alex & Linda