Vegan lemon curd that’s every bit as good as that made with eggs and dairy, that’s right folks, you found it here! Our lemon curd recipe is 100% legit and you’re going to love it as much as y’all love our Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins, our Vegan Lemon Cream Alfredo Sauce, or our many other lemon recipes.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there, we’re Linda and Alex (mother & daughter)! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern and Midwestern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
DAIRY AND EGG-FREE LEMON CURD
Man do we love lemons! We’re hoping that you do too, because we’ve been going crazy over this tangy and velvety vegan lemon curd.
This lemon recipe has been a long time coming.
We’ve tested many from the internet, and none of them really fit the criteria of a true lemon curd.
They were either the consistency of pudding, or the flavor wasn’t there.
Today, we introduce you to authentic lemon curd that happens to be vegan.
WHAT IS LEMON CURD?
Curd is a fruit spread that’s typically made with citrus, such as orange, lime, or lemon.
It’s thick and velvety, and unlike pudding, it has a stickier consistency.
WHAT IS LEMON CURD MADE OF?
Dairy-Free lemon curd is made with six simple ingredients, not including water and salt.
- 4 tbsp of Vegan Egg plus 1 cup of water – We use Follow Your Heart or JUST brands.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of vegan granulated sugar – non vegan granulated sugar has bone char in it. All organic and beet sugar is vegan.
- ¾ cup lemon juice – Use fresh squeezed for the best results.
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest – Don’t skip this, it truly makes the curd taste like lemon.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE LEMON CURD
Prepare the vegan egg if you’re using Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
NOTE: Only use Follow Your Heart or JUST, Bob’s or EnerG egg replacers will not work for this recipe.
In a large sauce pan, vigorously whisk the water, lemon juice, corn starch, salt, and sugar until it begins to thicken and bubble.
It should look translucent.
Slowly pour a cup of the sugar mixture into the egg mixture while vigorously whisking to prevent curdling.
While vigorously whisking (I can’t say this enough), slowly pour the egg mixture into the sugar and keep whisking to prevent the egg from curdling.
Whisk in the lemon zest.
The curd should be thick and smooth. You shouldn’t be able to detect any lumps at all.
HOW TO STORE EGG-FREE LEMON CURD
Eggless lemon curd with cornstarch should be stored the same as that made with egg and dairy.
Pour it into a clean mason jar or bowl, tightly cover and refrigerate for up to a week.
USES FOR LEMON CURD
- Spread it on scones, toast, or our homemade vegan biscuits.
- Put a dollop on pancakes or waffles.
- Pipe it into the center of muffins.
- Use it for the filling for a lemon meringue pie (recipe coming soon).
- Eat it by the spoonful because it’s that good!
Make this easy lemon curd recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make this rich and tangy homemade vegan lemon curd. It tastes just like that made with egg and dairy!
- 4 tbsp Vegan Egg plus 1 cup water We use Follow Your Heart or JUST Egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar Organic or beet sugar is vegan.
- ¾ cup lemon juice Fresh squeezed is best.
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp vegan butter Miyoko's or Earth Balance is our preferred brand.k
- ¼ tsp ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest.
In a small bowl, whisk the 4 tbsp vegan egg and1 cup water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, whisk the 1 cup water, 3/4 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, vegan butter, 3 tbsp cornstarch, and 1/4 tsp salt together on medium heat. Keep whisking until the mixture comes to a low boil and is thick and creamy. It should look translucent.
Whisk in the 3 tbsp vegan butter until it's melted and fully incorporated into the sugar mixture.
Add 1 cup of the lemon mixture to the vegan egg and whisk until combined. This prevents the egg from curdling.
Add the egg mixture to the pan of lemon mixture and whisk continuously until it just begins to boil and is thick and creamy.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the 2 tbsp lemon zest.
- Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.
- ONLY use Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg or JUST Egg. Do not use an egg replacer such as Bob’s Red Mill or EnerG, this will not work.
- We use Miyoko’s or Earth Balance vegan butter.
- Store in a clean mason jar or a bowl, tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.