This easy vegan lentil and carrot soup recipe is made with simple ingredients, and it will make you fall in love with lentils. It’s a one pot soup recipe that is perfect for winter, spring, summer, and fall. Serve it with our vegan cheddar drop biscuits for a complete meal.
Published Aug. 11, 2014 and updated Jan. 14, 2021.
More Easy Vegan Soups You’ll Love
What Kind Work Best for Soup?
There are several varieties of lentils, and for this soup we suggest using brown or green lentils.
Brown and green lentils are sturdier and don’t get mushy like red and yellow lentils
Green lentils do take a little longer to cook, so if you’re in a hurry, we recommend using brown lentils.
Do They Need to be Soaked?
You won’t need to soak the lentils before cooking them.
The broth in the soup is all you need to cook the lentils.
We do recommend rinsing and sorting the lentils, just to be sure a pebble or other foreign object didn’t make its way into the package.
Can You Use Canned Lentils?
You can also use canned lentils, which are pre-cooked. Just make sure to drain and rinse the liquid.
Add them fifteen minutes before the soup is done so they don’t get too soft.
How to Make It
Layering flavor is the name of the game when you put this easy, one pot soup recipe together.
Prep the carrots, onion, and garlic.
We like to dice them into smaller pieces so we get a little bit of every ingredient in every spoonful.
Heat the oil, or three tablespoons of vegetable broth if you don’t cook with oil.
When the oil/broth is hot, add the onions and carrots to the pan.
Don’t you love the sound of that first sizzle, and then the emerging sweet aroma that wafts up from the pan?
Stir the vegetables and saute for approximately five to seven minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
Now, add the garlic, rosemary, and rinsed lentils and stir to combine with the onion and carrots.
Add the vegetable broth and the water, stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
Crush the dried Italian seasoning into the soup and season to your liking with the salt and pepper.
Simmer for twenty-five to thirty minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
Add the spinach and stir until it’s wilted.
To brighten the flavor, add a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
How to Store It
Store vegetable lentil soup covered in the refrigerator for up to four days.You can also freeze it in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
Thaw it in the refrigerator or heat it a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
Make our easy vegan lentil and carrot soup recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
Remember to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Easy Lentil and Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or 3 tbsp broth or water if you don’t cook with oil
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups brown or green lentils rinsed and sorted
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of spinach – chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice optional
- Heat the 1 tbsp of oil or 3 tbsp of broth or water in a stock pot on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes to 7 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir frequently.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, and rinsed lentils to the pot and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Crush the 2 tsp of Italian seasoning into the soup and season to your liking with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the carrots and lentils are soft, but not mushy.
- Add the spinach and the lemon juice and stir. The soup is ready when the spinach has wilted.