You won't believe how crunchy, smoky, salty and easy our vegan coconut bacon recipe is! Made with just 4 simple ingredients and in less than 10 minutes.
If you're looking for something that mimics bacon, then this faux bacon is going to quickly become one of your favorite vegan recipes.
This recipe was inspired by Phoney Baloney Coconut Bacon, which unfortunately closed its doors. Luckily, it's so easy to make your own!
Sprinkle some on top of our Smoky Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder, or add it to our Crispy Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts recipe to add a smoky and crunchy element.
You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this quick and easy vegan bacon recipe.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes - make sure that you buy unsweetened coconut flakes, not shredded coconut.
- Liquid Smoke - We've tested many brands of liquid smoke and prefer Colgin.
- Maple Syrup - Bourbon barrel maple syrup has the BEST flavor, and it works with this recipe.
- Salt & Black Pepper - These are optional based upon your individual taste.
How to Make It
Here you'll find step by step instructions and visual cues to help you make the best vegan coconut bacon.
HINT: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking and for easy cleanup.
OIL-FREE - This recipe is oil-free, so it's a great vegan substitute for bacon if you don't consume oil.
GLUTEN-FREE - Because the liquid smoke doesn't contain gluten, and we don't use soy sauce in this recipe, it's completely gluten-free.
How to Serve
- Salads - vegan coconut bacon bits are delicious sprinkled over salads, such as our Vegan Cobb Salad.
- Soup - sprinkle over soup. It's so good on our Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup.
- Sandwiches - add some smoky and salty crunch to your sandwich. Try it with our Vegan ELT Sandwich.
- Doughnuts - believe it or not, shredded coconut bacon is amazing on our Vegan Maple Glazed Doughnuts.
Recipe FAQ and Tips
Liquid smoke is the water vapor from smoke that's captured in a cooled tube and then distilled and condensed. The tar and ash are removed during the process, so it's supposedly better than eating food that's charred on a grill or smoked in a smoker.
You can use smoked paprika, although the flavor won't be the same.
That really depends on the individual. We love this coconut bacon, as well as Tofu Bacon and Portobello Mushroom Bacon.
Although this isn't exactly like real bacon, it has the salty and smoky components that make it so delicious.
With recipes like this one and those that mimic the salty and smoky flavors of bacon. Vegan bacon recipes can be made with coconut, seitan, tempeh, mushrooms, tofu, or rice paper.
Store coconut bacon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Yes. Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
More Smoky and Savory Vegan Recipes
VEGAN COCONUT BACON
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 Oven
- 1 cup large coconut flakes see note
- 2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk the liquid smoke and maple syrup until fully combined.
- Toss the coconut in the liquid smoke mixture until the flakes are fully coated. They should be light brown in color.
- Spread evenly on the baking sheet and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keep a close eye on the bacon to avoid burning. Flip the bacon at 5 minutes.
- Do not use shredded or sweetened coconut for this recipe or it won't turn out.
- Use large flake unsweetened coconut. Shredded coconut is too fine in texture and sweetened will ruin the taste.
- Make sure that the coconut flakes are fully coated in the liquid smoke mixture. We use our hands to toss to make sure the top pieces of coconut are covered.
- Watch the coconut carefully while it's baking. Every oven is calibrated differently, so it may take less time to bake, and we don't want your bacon to burn.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
This is so INCERDIBLE!!! Wohoooo. Just delicious.😋😋
Hey you can also try our Coconut Bacon from our store.
Its Completely Vegan and Gluten free meal topper.
Love these. I've tried a few coconut bacon recipes, but these are the best so far. Each bite I get that fatty to the tongue (not sure what else to call it) taste. Just delicious.
Linda Meyer says
Thank you so much, Alocasia! We're so happy you like the recipe. Your description makes perfect sense to us. 🙂