Dairy-Free Potato Tots Can Be Baked or Fried
We created these vegan cheesy tots for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to fried potatoes, and for those who want to throw caution to the wind and go the deep-fried route.
Oven fried tots are a great alternative to deep frying.
They take a little bit longer, but you’ll use far less oil and it’s an easier clean up at the end.
Will they be as crunchy on the outside? No, but they’re still really crispy and delicious.
For those of you who insist on the crispiest tots, we’ve given you a deep-fried option.
How to Make Them
We love potato skin; however, for this recipe we advise peeling the potatoes.
Go ahead and peel them while you bring a pot of water to a boil.
Boil the potatoes for 8 minutes, then drain and cool them until they’re safe to handle.
Shred the potatoes with a food processor or a box grater. They should look like hash brown potatoes.
Now, take a clean towel (make sure it doesn’t smell like detergent or fabric softener), or paper towels, and press out the excess water.
This will ensure that the potatoes stick together and get extra crispy.
Put the shredded potato in a large bowl and mix in the dairy-free cheese, minced chives, and other ingredients.
Form the potato mixture into tots.
You can make them as small or as large as you like, and keep in mind that the size of them will determine how long they cook.
If you want to bake them, gently toss them, or spray them, with vegetable oil and bake for approximately 8 minutes per side, or until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Frying those babies? Heat the oil in a heavy fry pan, and when the oil is sizzling hot, fry the tots in batches for approximately 2 minutes per side.
Place the tots on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the excess oil.
Why Russet Potatoes?
Russett, or Idaho, potatoes don’t have the moisture content that other potatoes do, so they’re perfect for making crispy tater tots.
If you want, you can also make sweet potato tots, just follow the same instructions.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Make sure the oven if fully preheated before baking.
- Test the oil with a small piece of potato to make sure it’s sizzling hot before frying.
- Put the fried potato tots on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve while they’re hot and crispy.
NOTE: Keep them warm in a warming drawer or the oven until ready to serve.
This will ensure that they stay crispy.
How to Serve
We love our tots with the following sauces and dips.
More Vegan Potato Recipes You’ll Love
Make our vegan cheesy tater tots and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Crispy cheesy tater tots made with dairy-free cheddar cheese and minced chives are full of flavor. They're perfect as an appetizer or side dish.
- 5 large russet potatoes peeled
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 egg equivalent of Bob’s Redmill egg replacer prepare as directed on the container.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup minced chives
- ½ cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil if baking
- 2 cups canola oil if frying
If Baking: Preheat oven to 425˚F (218˚C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Boil the potatoes for 8 minutes, drain and cool. Shred the potatoes with a food processor or a box grater.
- With a clean towel (make sure it doesn’t smell like detergent or fabric softener) or paper towels, press out the excess water.
- Put the shredded potato in a large bowl and mix in the 2 tbsp of flour, egg replacer, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, ¼ cup minced chives, ½ cup vegan cheddar shreds, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir until completely combined.
- Form the potato mixture into 1 1/2 inch tots. You can make them as large or as small as you like. Adjust the cooking time for the size of the tots.
- Baking Option
- Gently toss the potatoes in the 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, or spray them, and bake for approximately 8 minutes and flip and bake another 8 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Frying Option
- Put the 2 cups of vegetable oil in a heavy fry pan and heat the oil on high. When the oil is hot (test by adding a small piece of the potato to the oil, if it sizzles, it’s ready) carefully add, in batches, the tots to the pan and fry approximately 2 minutes per side, or until they’re golden brown and crispy.
- Remove them from the oil and set on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve hot.