This is the best vegan seitan chicken recipe that we've ever tasted. And believe us when we say that we've tried plenty. The texture and flavor of this vegan chicken is fantastic! It's super simple to make and perfect for someone who's looking for an easy seitan recipe. If you liked our vegan BBQ ribs recipe, you're going to love this vegan seitan chicken. Make sure to try our Vegan Fried Chicken and Hot Chicken recipes, too.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
VEGAN FOOD TO BRING TO A BBQ
Never again will you have to wonder what to take to a barbecue, because our vegan chicken breasts are perfect for the grill!
THE BEST VEGAN CHICKEN SUBSTITUTE
Most people weren’t raised vegan. They grew up eating meat and dairy, and developed a fondness for certain types of food.
Alex went vegan almost six years ago when she was in college, and a few months later I did too.
Although we will never eat another animal or animal byproduct again, we (like many vegans) still crave certain recipes that we grew up eating.
Instead of denying those cravings, we work countless hours recreating those dishes in plant form.
We do this because we’re foodies and we love to eat, and because we want to help those who want to go vegan, but aren’t sure about giving up their favorite foods.
That’s why we created this seitan chicken style recipe. So you can still enjoy your favorite chicken recipes, only without the actual bird.
We love working with vital wheat gluten to make vegan meat because we can recreate ribs and grilled chicken that actually tastes similar to the real thing.
The texture isn’t exact, but it’s about as close as you can get from a homemade chicken seitan recipe.
Y’all, this truly is the best vegan chicken substitute we’ve ever had!
WHAT IS VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN?
It’s the natural protein found in wheat and it’s what gives seitan its meat like texture.
Basically, the wheat is stripped of everything except the gluten. The good news is that it’s very high in protein and low in carbs.
It’s also a good source of calcium and iron.
WHERE CAN I BUY VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN?
Most grocery stores carry it in their health, vegan, or baking sections. You can also order it on Amazon
Bob’s Red Mill vital wheat gluten is our favorite.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A VEGAN CHICKEN RECIPE?
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten – we use Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- 1 cup silken tofu – we’ve used shredded jackfruit and mushrooms in our ribz and brisket recipes, but for this vegan chicken breast recipe the tofu helps mimic the tender texture of chicken.
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs no chicken bouillon – this is important as it really adds the flavor. We use Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbs chicken seasoning – most spice brands make a chicken seasoning blend.
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire sauce – Annie’s or The Wizard’s makes a vegan version.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN?
The first thing you do is whisk the vital wheat gluten with the garlic and onion powder, salt, and chicken seasoning until they’re completely combined.
Whisk the tofu, water, chicken bouillon, and vegan Worcestershire sauce until the tofu is broken down into small pieces.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and then knead the dough until it forms a solid ball. Don’t overdo it or the seitan will have a tough texture. It will be stretchy.
If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it forms a stretchy dough. If it’s too wet, add a bit more vital wheat gluten.
Roll or press the dough into a flat circle, approximately a half-inch thick. It will try and shrink, just keep pressing it back.
Also, if it tears, just press the dough back together.
Now cut out cutlets. You can make them as large or as small as you’d like.
Put a steamer basket in a large pot and fill it with water just to the bottom of the basket. You don’t want the water to touch the seitan cutlets. Bring the water to a boil.
Spray a bit of oil on the basket to prevent the cutlets from sticking. Place the cutlets on the basket.
If you need to overlap the cutlets, lightly spray them with oil to prevent sticking.
Reduce the water to a simmer and cover the pot. Steam for 30 minutes.
Remove the vegan chicken breasts from the pot and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Chilling the vegan chicken cutlets makes the texture even better.
HOW DO YOU COOK SEITAN CHICKEN?
You can eat it as is once it's steamed, or you can grill it or saute it in a hot pan.
We love it grilled with our favorite homemade BBQ sauce.
All you have to do is grill it for 3 to 5 minutes on both sides and slather on the sauce just before taking it off of the grill.
HOW DO YOU SERVE VEGAN CHICKEN BREASTS?
You can serve them as is or you can grill them.
We love them grilled with our homemade BBQ sauce or just sliced and placed over a salad.
You can also make a vegan chicken sandwich with them. Our favorite chicken sandwich includes a pretzel bun, mustard, lettuce, tomato, and sliced avocado.
HERE ARE SOME MORE VEGAN MEAT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Make the best vegan chicken seitan recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
The best vegan seitan chicken recipe
- steamer basket
- 2 cups Vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 1 cup silken tofu
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp no chicken bouillon paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk the 2 cups vital wheat gluten with the 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt, and 1 tbsp chicken seasoning until they’re completely combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the 1 cup tofu, ½ cup water, 1 tbsp no chicken bouillon paste, and 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce until the tofu breaks down into small pieces.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and when it forms a ball.
- On a clean flat surface dusted with vital wheat gluten, knead the dough for 1 minute then roll or press into a ½ inch thick circle. The dough will keep shrinking, just continue to press it back. If the dough tears, press it back together.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut out the chicken cutlets. You can decide on how small or large you want them to be.
- Place a steaming basket in a large pot and fill with water until the water is just below the basket. You don’t want water to touch the cutlets. Bring the water to a boil.
- Spray a light coating of oil on the basket to prevent the cutlets from sticking and place the cutlets on the basket. If you need to layer the cutlets, spray a light coating of oil on the bottom layer so they don’t stick together.
- Reduce the water to a simmer, cover the pot, and steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cutlets from the pot and refrigerate for at least an hour. This will let the seitan develop a better texture.
- TO GRILL THE VEGAN CHIK’N BREASTS
- Brush or spray a light coating of vegetable oil on both sides and grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they’re heated through.
- Layer on our homemade BBQ sauce for added flavor.