This is the best vegan seitan chicken recipe because it tastes like chicken, is easy to make, and it's so versatile. If you love our vegan BBQ ribs recipe, you're going to love this vegan chicken. You can grill it, make Vegan Fried Chicken, Hot Chicken or use it wherever you would use chicken.
Published August 1, 2019 and updated July 23, 2021.
Why it Works
Vegan chicken recipes can be made with tofu, tempeh, cauliflower, or vital wheat gluten (seitan).
This particular recipe is made with vital wheat gluten, and it's as close to real chicken as you're going to get.
It's chewy, it can be shredded to make pulled barbecue, and it mimics real chicken better than anything else that we've tried
VEGAN FOOD TO BRING TO A BBQ
Never again will you have to wonder what to take to a barbecue, because our vegan chicken breasts are perfect for the grill!
WHAT IS VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN?
It’s the natural protein found in wheat and it’s what gives seitan its meat like texture.
Basically, the wheat is stripped of everything except the gluten. The good news is that it’s very high in protein and low in carbs.
It’s also a good source of calcium and iron.
Most grocery stores carry it in their health, vegan, or baking sections. You can also order it on Amazon
Bob’s Red Mill vital wheat gluten is our favorite.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A VEGAN CHICKEN RECIPE?
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten – we use Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- 1 cup silken tofu – we’ve used shredded jackfruit and mushrooms in our ribz and brisket recipes, but for this vegan chicken breast recipe the tofu helps mimic the tender texture of chicken.
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs no chicken bouillon – this is important as it really adds the flavor. We use Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbs chicken seasoning – most spice brands make a chicken seasoning blend.
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire sauce – Annie’s or The Wizard’s makes a vegan version.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN?
The first thing you do is whisk the vital wheat gluten with the garlic and onion powder, salt, and chicken seasoning until they’re completely combined.
Whisk the tofu, water, chicken bouillon, and vegan Worcestershire sauce until the tofu is broken down into small pieces.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and then knead the dough until it forms a solid ball. Don’t overdo it or the seitan will have a tough texture. It will be stretchy.
If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it forms a stretchy dough. If it’s too wet, add a bit more vital wheat gluten.
Roll or press the dough into a flat circle, approximately a half-inch thick. It will try and shrink, just keep pressing it back.
Also, if it tears, just press the dough back together.
Now cut out cutlets. You can make them as large or as small as you’d like.
Put a steamer basket in a large pot and fill it with water just to the bottom of the basket. You don’t want the water to touch the seitan cutlets. Bring the water to a boil.
Spray a bit of oil on the basket to prevent the cutlets from sticking. Place the cutlets on the basket.
If you need to overlap the cutlets, lightly spray them with oil to prevent sticking.
Reduce the water to a simmer and cover the pot. Steam for 30 minutes.
Remove the vegan chicken breasts from the pot and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Chilling the vegan chicken cutlets makes the texture even better.
How to Store It
Store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. .
How to Serve Vegan Seitan Chicken
Southern-Style Vegan Chicken and Biscuits - Shred the seitan chicken instead of using jackfruit.
White Bean "Chicken" Chili - Shred the seitan chicken instead of using jackfruit.
Make the best vegan chicken seitan recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
The best vegan seitan chicken recipe
- steamer basket
- 2 cups Vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning
- 1 cup silken tofu
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon no chicken bouillon paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk the 2 cups vital wheat gluten with the 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt, and 1 tbsp chicken seasoning until they’re completely combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the 1 cup tofu, ½ cup water, 1 tbsp no chicken bouillon paste, and 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce until the tofu breaks down into small pieces.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and when it forms a ball.
- On a clean flat surface dusted with vital wheat gluten, knead the dough for 1 minute then roll or press into a ½ inch thick circle. The dough will keep shrinking, just continue to press it back. If the dough tears, press it back together.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut out the chicken cutlets. You can decide on how small or large you want them to be.
- Place a steaming basket in a large pot and fill with water until the water is just below the basket. You don’t want water to touch the cutlets. Bring the water to a boil.
- Spray a light coating of oil on the basket to prevent the cutlets from sticking and place the cutlets on the basket. If you need to layer the cutlets, spray a light coating of oil on the bottom layer so they don’t stick together.
- Reduce the water to a simmer, cover the pot, and steam for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cutlets from the pot and refrigerate for at least an hour. This will let the seitan develop a better texture.
- TO GRILL THE VEGAN CHIK’N BREASTS
- Brush or spray a light coating of vegetable oil on both sides and grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they’re heated through.
- Layer on our homemade BBQ sauce for added flavor.