Our crispy vegan cauliflower chicken recipe is a tender, crunchy, easy, and delicious way to enjoy oven fried chicken without the actual meat. This is a great option for you if you don’t eat gluten, because you can make it gluten-free. Serve it with our tender homemade vegan buttermilk waffles for the best chicken & waffles recipe ever! Breaded oven fried cauliflower is a great plant-based alternative to fried chicken.
Cauliflower is such a mild flavored vegetable, so when you add seasoning to it, you can make it taste like chicken.
It’s also perfectly tender when it’s cooked properly, which also makes it a great chicken alternative.
This crispy baked cauliflower recipe is so easy to make. We know you’re going to love it as much as we do.
How to Make Breaded Cauliflower
To make our crispy vegan cauliflower chicken, start by cutting the cauliflower in half from the top through the stem.
Remove the core and the leaves from each half.
Slice or break off the florets. If they're too large, cut the florets in half.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste until they’re completely combined.
Take another medium bowl, whisk the panko breadcrumbs with the chicken seasoning.
In a third medium bowl, whisk the vegan egg and milk together until combined. You can use milk only, but we think the egg helps bind the dry ingredients.
Dip the cauliflower florets (one at a time) in the egg and milk, then roll it evenly in the flour, dip it into the egg and milk, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs until it’s evenly coated.
Place on a cookie sheet spaced apart so they don’t touch.
Repeat with the remaining cauliflower florets.
Spray with a thin coat of olive oil and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
They should be golden and crispy all the way around.
Tips & Tricks
Depending on the size of the cauliflower, you may need to whip up more flour and breadcrumb mixtures.
You can omit the vegan egg, just know that it may not stick as well.
Make sure that the oven is fully preheated before adding the cauliflower to the oven.
Flip the cauliflower after 15 minutes so all sides become golden and crispy.
How to Make it Gluten-Free and Oil-Free
Replace the flour with cornstarch or gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Skip the oil, just know that they probably won’t crisp up and the color won’t be as golden if you do.
Spraying a light coating of vegetable oil on them adds a minimal amount of oil and calories.
How to Serve Baked Cauliflower
Serve them just like you’d serve oven fried chicken. They’re great as a main, in a sandwich, in tacos, or as an appetizer.
What to Serve with Oven Fried Cauliflower
More Vegan Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Make our crispy vegan cauliflower chicken recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Crispy Vegan Cauliflower Chicken
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning we use Weber Grill’s mixture
- 3 tablespoon Follow Your Heart Egg Vegan, 4 ozvegan egg we use JUST egg (SEE NOTE)
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk anything but coconut milk will work
- Vegetable oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (204˚C) and line a baking sheetwith parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- Remove the core from the cauliflower and break or cut the individual florets from the head. If the florets are too large, cut them in half.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper until fully combined.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the panko breadcrumbs and poultry seasoning until fully combined.
- In a third medium bowl, whisk the vegan egg and plant-based milk together until fully combined.
- Dip a cauliflower floret in the egg and milk, then roll in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture again, and roll in the breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining florets. Give the florets enough space so they don’t touch. If they touch, they’ll likely steam and won’t get as crispy.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden and crispy, then turn them over and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until they’re evenly crispy and browned. The cauliflower should be fork tender.
PIN ME FOR LATER!