This creamy vegan macaroni salad is just like the classic macaroni salad you remember. It’s creamy, crunchy, chewy, and delicious! You’ll also love that this is dairy-free and mayo-free. It’s also so easy to make and the perfect picnic food. Serve it with our Spicy Black Bean Burgers at your next barbecue.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
The Best Vegan Pasta Salad
It’s a bold statement, we know, and it’s true.
This isn’t just any vegan mac salad, and that’s because it has a special ingredient. Gherkin pickles.
What’s the Difference Between Pickles and Gherkins?
Gherkins are pickles, but pickles are not gherkins.
Pickles can be pickled in just a few hours, but a gherkin needs about 30 days to pickle properly.
Gherkins are also crunchier than pickles, which is why they’re perfect for this pasta salad.
How to Make It
This is an easy 3 step vegetarian pasta salad recipe that everyone will love.
The first thing that you’ll need to do is boil the cashews until they're soft and puffy, and cook the elbow macaroni (or any short pasta).
Chop the gherkins, bell pepper, celery, and red onion.
These should be chopped evenly and small. There’s nothing worse than large uneven pieces of veggies in a pasta salad.
Drain and rinse the cashews and put them in the blender with the remaining sauce ingredients and blend until it’s smooth and velvety.
You shouldn’t see any solids from the nuts.
In a large bowl, mix the pasta and the sauce together until the noodles are coated, then stir in the chopped veggies until fully combined.
Tips for Making the Perfect Pasta Salad
- Cook the pasta until it’s el dente (firm to the bite). Test it 1 minute before the suggested cooking time.
- Finely and evenly chop the vegetables. They all be the same size. This adds to the presentation and texture of the salad.
- Stir the creamy pasta dressing and the vegetables into the pasta right after draining it so the noodles don’t stick together.
- Taste it and add salt and pepper to suite your taste.
More Vegan Summer Salads You’ll Love
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Make our creamy vegan pasta salad recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Creamy Vegan Macaroni Salad
- 16 ounce macaroni noodles or any small cut pasta
- ½ cup gherkins pickles SEE NOTE
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup water SEE NOTE
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the 1 cup of cashews in water and boil for 12 to 15 minutes. When they’re soft and puffy, drain and rinse in cool water.
- Boil the noodles according to the instructions on the package. For best results, cook until el dente (firm to the bite). Check the texture 1 minute before the suggested time.
- While the noodles are boiling prepare the gherkins and vegetables and make the dressing.
- FOR THE DRESSING
- Put the drained and rinsed cashews in a blender and add the ½ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup water, SEE NOTE, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until creamy and it is thick but pourable.
- Drain the noodles and place in a large bowl. Stir in the dressing until the noodles are fully coated. Add the chopped gherkins and vegetables and stir until fully combined. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
PIN ME FOR LATER!