Homemade vegan Worcestershire sauce is made with easy to find pantry staples and has a depth of flavor that can be added to chili, vegan seitan ribs, or any dish that would benefit from a bit of umami flavor.
Published March 4, 2014 and updated April 24, 2020.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
What is Worcestershire Sauce?
It’s a sauce that has bold flavor and is traditionally made with vinegar, fermented onion and garlic, molasses, spices, citrus, and anchovies.
How do You Make it Vegan?
Clearly, we don’t use anchovies in our homemade vegan Worcestershire sauce. In place of that salty fish, we use soy sauce and the brine from capers.
Additionally, we add warm spices, molasses, orange juice, and vinegar.
It’s so easy to make.
- All you’ll need to do is add the ingredients to a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and let it cook for five minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool, then use a siphon (if you have one) and pour it into a glass jar or a bottle with a lid.
- Refrigerate for one week to let the flavors marry.
How Long Will it Last?
This homemade vegan sauce will last one month in the refrigerator.
When to Use Worcestershire Sauce
Use it whenever you need a full-bodied broth, sauce, or dish.
For vegan cooking, it is a key ingredient in our seitan recipes. It adds a wonderful umami flavor that’s required in meaty dishes.
Vegan Recipes with Worcestershire Sauce
Make our homemade Worcestershire recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup soy sauce low sodium if you’re watching your sodium intake
- 3 tbsp orange juice fresh squeezed without pulp is best
- 1 tbsp brine from capers
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let cool and pour in a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate for 1 week to let the flavors marry.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 more weeks.
PIN ME FOR LATER!