This vegan seitan corned beef Reuben with Russian Dressing is made with our homemade vegan corned beef and Russian dressing and layered with tangy sauerkraut and vegan cheese on buttery rye bread. It's the best classic vegan sandwich!
Published March 14, 2018 and updated March 8, 2021.
More classic vegan sandwiches you'll love
Ingredients and substitutions
Seitan Corned Beef - Seitan corned beef is so easy to make. All you'll need is vital wheat gluten, corned beef spices, and a beet for color. If you can make it the day before, it's even better after it's refrigerated overnight.
Rye Bread - A Reuben isn't a Reuben without rye bread. The flavor of the rye is crucial to this delicious sandwich. However, if you're not a fan of rye you could use whole wheat or whole grain bread. The denser the bread the better, so we'd stay away from light white bread.
Sauerkraut - Like rye bread, this is a must if you're making a true Reuben. If you really dislike sauerkraut, you could use a tangy coleslaw in its place.
Vegan Swiss Cheese - Daiya makes a Swiss cheese that you should be able to find at your local grocery store. If you can't find that, vegan provolone works well.
Russian Dressing - Our homemade dressing is made with vegan mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and salt and pepper. It's super easy to whip up and adds great texture and flavor to the sandwich.
Vegan Butter - This is necessary for grilling. It will make the bread nice and crispy. We like Miyoko's or Earth Balance.
How to make it
Make the seitan corned beef. The recipe is linked in the recipe card.
Butter the outside of the rye bread and then pile one piece with thinly sliced vegan corned beef.
Top the corned beef with vegan Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian Dressing.
Top the sandwich with the second piece of buttered bread and grill until it's browned and toasty and the cheese melts.
Serving and storing
This sandwich is best when eaten just after grilling. We don't recommend storing it once it's made.
Serve it with any of the following sides:
Make our vegan seitan corned beef Reuben with Russian dressing and let us know what you think. Make sure to take a picture and tag us @veganosity on Instagram. We love seeing your gorgeous creations.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Vegan Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo just mayo
- 2 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoon horseradish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sandwich
- Vegan butter
- Rye bread
- Vegan swiss cheese or a white cheese
FOR THE RUSSIAN DRESSING
- In a small bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise, 2 tsp ketchup, 2 tsp horseradish sauce, 1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Taste and add more of any one ingredient to suit your taste.
TO MAKE THE REUBEN SANDWICH
- Butter the bottom piece of both slices of bread and cover one (butter side down) with as much corned beef as you like. Put the slice of cheese over the corned beef, then the sauerkraut (as much as you like) on top of the cheese, and finally, dress the top piece of bread with as much Russian dressing as you like and put it on top of the sandwich (butter side up).
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and carefully set the sandwich in the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until the buttered bread is nicely browned. Remove the lid and carefully flip the sandwiches and cover and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melty (See Note) and the bread is nicely browned. Add more butter to the pan if necessary.