Our vegan monte cristo sandwich will easily become one of your favorites. Although it’s meat, dairy, and egg-free, its taste and texture are very much like the real deal. It’s like combining French toast and a ham and cheese sandwich. Give it a go and let us know what you think.
What is a Monte Cristo Sandwich and Where Did It Come From?
What is It?
A monte cristo is basically a fried ham and cheese sandwich.
It’ typically made with Swiss cheese and ham, turkey, or chicken and dipped in egg batter and fried.
Sweet versions come with a side of jelly to dip them in.
It’s not a health food, but it’s so dang delicious!
It’s thought to be a version of the Croque Monsieur, a French ham and cheese sandwich.
The Americanized version began sometime after 1930. It was called the French Sandwich, Toasted Ham Sandwich, and French Toasted Cheese Sandwich.
In the 1950s it was given the name, Monte Cristo, in Southern California.
It became popular when Disneyland started selling them at the theme park in the 1960s.
How to Make a Meatless Monte Cristo Sandwich
You’re going to want to begin with a good vegan ham.
There are store bought versions, or you can make our seitan ham.
Next, you’ll want to find a vegan cheese that resembles a gruyere. We like Chao Original for our vegan ham and cheese recipe.
Finally, you’ll need a vegan egg that will stick to the bread and create that wonderful French toast like texture.
We only use JUST egg for this sandwich. Most grocery stores carry it in the refrigerated section close to the eggs, or in the vegan refrigerated section.
Mix the vegan egg with paprika, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl that’s wide enough for the bread.
Spread the mustard evenly over one side of the bread and add the vegan ham and cheese.
Dip the sandwich in the egg mixture. Make sure you dip both sides of the sandwich.
Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add the vegan butter. When the butter is completely melted, place the sandwich in the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
The crust of the bread should be a beautiful golden brown and crispy, and the cheese should be melted.
Cover the pan to ensure that the cheese fully melts.
Best Bread for a Monte Cristo?
While you can use any kind of bread, we think that sliced sourdough is the best.
It gets nice and crunchy, and the slightly sour taste elevates the flavors of the other ingredients.
How to Serve
This sandwich is great as the main course for a meal. You can also slice it into small pieces for appetizers.
What to Serve it With
Sliced fruit and/or veggies
Looking for More Vegan Sandwich Ideas?
Make our vegan monte cristo recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan Monte Cristo
- ½ cup of vegan egg we suggest using JUST egg for this. See Note
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread we prefer sourdough for this sandwich
- 2 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 to 3 pieces of thinly sliced vegan ham
- 1 slice vegan cheese See Note
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- In a bowl that’s large enough for the bread, whisk the ½ cup of vegan egg, ¼ tsp of smoked paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mustard evenly over one side of a piece of bread and then assemble the sandwich by layering the vegan ham and cheese on top of the mustard. Place the top piece of bread on top and dip both sides in the egg mixture.
- In a skillet, heat the pan on medium-high heat and add the butter or oil when the pan is hot. When the butter is completely melted, add the sandwich to the pan and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and crispy. Flip the sandwich and cook the other side until it’s golden brown and crispy. To help the cheese melt, cover the pan with a lid.