Our easy homemade creamy vegan coleslaw recipe is crunchy and tangy. It’s the perfect side dish for parties, potlucks, and summer barbecues. It’s also dairy-free and gluten-free. If you’re looking for a no mayo coleslaw, then use our vegan buttermilk ranch dressing recipe or make our jicama & carrot slaw with lime dressing.
More Vegan Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
This coleslaw recipe is super simple and only requires basic ingredients to make.
- Green and Red Cabbage – While you can certainly use only green or red cabbage, we love the extra crunch of the red and the color that both provide to the slaw.
- Carrot – The grated carrot adds great texture, sweetness, and gorgeous color to the slaw.
- Parsley – It’s fresh and it adds a peppery taste to the slaw.
For the Perfect Creamy Vegan Dressing
- Vegan Mayonnaise – Sir Kensington’s, Hellmann’s, and Vegenaise are easy to find in most supermarkets and on Amazon.
- White Wine Vinegar – You could also use apple cider vinegar, although we prefer the flavor of white wine.
- Dijon Mustard – Just one tablespoon of Dijon adds so much to the flavor of the dressing.
- Celery Seed – Don’t skip this, it really adds depth of flavor to the recipe.
- Sugar – We only add a half of a teaspoon to the dressing to cut the acidity from the vinegar and Dijon mustard.
- Salt and Pepper – Add to your liking.
How to Make It
Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and then thinly slice or shred it with a mandoline and place it in a large bowl.
Use a box grater to grate the carrots, or you can use the grater attachment on your food processor.
Chop the parsley.
Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk them together until they’re completely combined.
Taste it and add more of whatever you think it needs. We all have different tastes.
Toss the dressing and the veggies together until coated.
- If you’re in a hurry or don’t feel like prepping the vegetables, you can find prepped cabbage and carrots in the produce section in your grocery store.
- Prep the cabbage, carrots, and parsley ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can also make the dressing ahead of time, but don’t combine them until just before you’re ready to serve.
- Do not freeze this recipe, it just doesn’t freeze well.
- If you have leftover cabbage, make our Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, Vegan Irish Cabbage Soup, or our Vegan Colcannon Potato and Cabbage Soup.
How to Serve it
It’s also a great summer side dish for these vegan recipes:
Make our easy homemade creamy vegan coleslaw recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Easy Homemade Creamy Vegan Coleslaw
For the Dressing
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise SEE NOTE
- 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Slaw
- 3 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 ½ cups carrots grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon celery seed, ½ teaspoon sugar, and salt and pepper to taste until completely combined. We don’t like to taste the sugar in our slaw, so we only add enough to cut the acidity of the vinegar and mustard. If it tastes too tangy, add another ½ teaspoon of sugar.
- In a large bowl, add the dressing to the 3 cups of shredded green cabbage, 2 cups red cabbage, 1 ½ cups grated carrot, and most (save a bit for garnishing) of the ¼ cup of chopped parsley and toss to completely combine.