Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means it's time to start preparing! While gathering up a shopping list and making a meal plan for this particular holiday can be stressful, we're making it easy for you! We've done all the legwork here! So, check our staples list, add anything you don't have to our grocery list and hit the store. We've got this classic vegan Thanksgiving dinner covered.
WHAT WE'RE SERVING FOR THIS CLASSIC VEGAN THANKSGIVING DINNER
It's a holiday that causes a lot of stress for vegans. And we get it! The whole thing has traditionally been set around a dead bird in the middle of the table! So, we know what it feels like to approach Thanksgiving and wonder how in the heck you're going to get picky relatives to be down with your plant-based deliciosity.
And while we're massive fans of tofurky and vegan roasts (check out our vegan holiday roast review here), it can be hard convincing others that they're even better than turkey. So, now you're probably left wondering "what am I going to serve as my main dish?!?" Well, we're here to let you in on a secret: our Lentil Loaf is by far our most popular recipes for non-vegans and is going to get you through Thanksgiving with all your guests feeling full and loving the dinner you prepared for them!
OK, NOW WHAT AM I SERVING ON THE SIDE?
Yes, our lentil loaf is delicious, but you know guests will be expecting more! So, we've planned every little detail for your classic vegan Thanksgiving dinner down to the cranberries. Check out your delicious sides below.
You can't get any more classic Thanksgiving than mashed potatoes. They're an absolute staple and we definitely aren't complaining! So, we're taking this classic dish and turning it up a notch by adding roasted garlic.
We actually used to despise Brussels Sprouts. Probably because they were always prepared horribly. I mean, you wouldn't like them either if they were steamed and served up just like that. Luckily for us, and for you, we've perfected the art of roasting these little green gems! Now, they're the perfect healthy and incredibly tasty side dish for you classic vegan Thanksgiving dinner!
Your guests will not know what hit them when they try this gravy. They'll think you went off the vegan bandwagon and decided to serve them traditional gravy. Yeah... it's that good! Every year we have people literally licking their plates clean to make sure they get the last of this Porcini Mushroom Gravy.
This is a must-have at all of our holiday dinners. After all, what is Thanksgiving without a cranberry sauce? Instead of busting out a can of gelatinous, sugar-coated, dare we say... nastiness? Yep, we went there. We're suggesting that you make this delicately sweet, awesomely fresh, perfectly tart Cranberry Clementine Sauce!
CLASSIC DESSERT FOR A CLASSIC VEGAN THANKSGIVING DINNER
This pumpkin pie tastes exactly like the one your Grandma used to make. The crust is flaky, the filling is sweet and pumpkin-y, and it is exceptional topped with a dollop of coconut whipped cream!
Store-bought Pie Crust Options:
- Wholly Wholesome Pie Shells
- Immaculate Baking Pie Crust
Whipped Cream Options:
- Make your own with heavy coconut milk
- Vegan Reddi Whip
- So Delicious Coconut Whip
SHOPPING LIST FOR A CLASSIC VEGAN THANKSGIVING DINNER
NOTE: Adjust the amount of the ingredients that you’ll need according to the number of guests at your table.
- Brussels sprouts
- Red onions
- White onions
- Portobello Mushroom caps
- Russet potatoes
- Clementine oranges
- Assorted veggies and fruit for an appetizer platter
- Vegan Butter – (I use Earth Balance)
- Plant Based shortening
- Artisanal Vegan Cheese for cheese board
- Almond milk for the mashed potatoes
- Coconut Milk
- Pumpkin Puree
- No Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Vegetable stock
- Fine Bread crumbs
- you can process the panko crumbs in a food processor to make them fine if you don’t want to buy two separate containers.
- Panko bread crumbs
- Liquid smoke
- Fire roasted tomatoes, whole
- Dried Porcini mushrooms
- Dried fruit for appetizer platter
- Crackers and assorted nuts for appetizer platter
(check to make sure you have them)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Ground black pepper
- Brown sugar
- Fennel seeds
- Bay leaves
- Mustard powder
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dark molasses
- Avocado oil or any oil with a high smoke point
- Olive oil
- Flax seed
- Apple cider vinegar
HOW TO PREP FOR YOUR CLASSIC VEGAN THANKSGIVING DINNER
- Make the Curried Apple Relish and the Cranberry Clementine sauce.
- Prepare the pie crust and refrigerate.
- Make the pumpkin pie.
- Make the gravy.
- Chop the Brussels sprouts and store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
- Cook the lentils and store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
- Roast the carrots, onion, and mushrooms for the lentil loaf and store in an airtight container.
- Set the table.
Note: Prepare and put the appetizers out twenty minutes before your guests arrive.
- Put the lentil loaf together and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
Three hours before dinner:
- Prepare the baked onions with fennel and bake them.
Two hours before dinner:
- Peel and slice the potatoes and put them in a large pot and cover with cold water.
One hour before dinner:
- Put the lentil loaf in the oven.
Forty-five minutes before dinner:
- Start boiling the potatoes.
Fifteen minutes before dinner:
- Warm up the gravy and finish the mashed potatoes. Cover them to keep them warm. Make the spicy Brussels sprouts. Put the cranberry clementine sauce on the table.
- If you’re serving dinner rolls make sure to heat them in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I wish you lots of love, laughter, and joy at your holiday table.