Our vegan "tuna" salad is a delicious plant-based alternative for anyone who is craving tuna salad but can't or won't eat fish. Made with white beans, palm hearts, and old bay seasoning to give it the perfect flavor. It's also dairy-free and you don't need vegan mayo to make it. Serve it with a side of our Roasted Rosemary & Sage Home Fries.
Published June 8, 2016 and updated May 17, 2020.
Classic Vegan Tuna Salad
This classic tuna salad is a popular choice when it comes to making a delicious and hearty sandwich.
Although this salad doesn't have any tuna in it, it comes close to the real thing.
The texture and flavor is pretty darn close, and we think you're going to love how it tastes and how easy it is to make.
Who would want to make a fake tuna salad with white beans and hearts of palm instead of opening a can of real tuna?
- Mercury – Read this to learn more.
- Overfishing is killing our oceans – Read this to learn more.
- It tastes good.
- No fishy odor.
- You won't have fish breath.
- It won’t spoil as fast as tuna will.
- You’ll save a fish.
What more could you possibly want from a salad that is pretty darn close to the real deal?
How Do You Make Vegan Tuna Salad?
Finely chop the palm hearts, bell pepper, onion, celery, and dill.
In a large bowl, mash the beans with a fork or potato masher. You want to break them down so they become creamy, yet have some solid pieces for texture.
Add the Old Bay seasoning, mustard, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and add more seasoning if you like.
How to Serve Tuna Salad
- Make a tuna salad sandwich with bread or toast. Add lettuce and tomato, or any topping you like.
- Serve it on a bed of greens for a low carb option.
- Core a tomato and spoon the salad into the center for a beautiful presentation.
More Easy Vegan Salads You'll Love
Make our vegan tuna salad recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan “Tuna Salad
- 1 food processor
- 15 ounce Great Northern white beans drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 3 large palm hearts coarsely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 large stalk of celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard for best results avoid stone ground mustard
- Ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Mash the beans in a medium bowl until they're creamy, but you can still see smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped palm hearts, bell pepper, onion, celery, dill, 1 teaspoon (more if you like a strong flavor) Old Bay seasoning, 2 tablespoon mustard, and salt and pepper and stir to combine.