If you’ve tried the vegan buffalo chicken dip from our cookbook, then you know that you’re in for a treat when you dig into this Vegan Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n’ Cheese. We’ve combined our homemade buffalo dip with our amazing macaroni and cheese to bring you this creamy and flavorful dish.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
If food could wrap its arms around you and give you a big squishy hug, macaroni and cheese would give the biggest, warmest hug of all.
What is it about this cheesy noodle dish that makes people feel so warm inside?
Maybe it’s because most kids grew up on Kraft macaroni and cheese and it reminds us of home?
Whatever the reason, we’re kind of obsessed with it, and created this adult version of mac ‘n’ cheese for you to fall in love with all over again.
BUFFALO MACARONI AND CHEESE
Next to mac ‘n’ cheese, spicy food is our jam.
The spicier the better, and so it just made sense to put our love of cheesy macaroni and buffalo wings together.
However, if you’re into heat, then stick around, because this vegan buffalo wing mac and cheese has your name written all over it.
VEGAN BUFFALO SAUCE IS THE SECRET TO MAKING THE BEST DAIRY-FREE BUFFALO MAC AND CHEESE
We’ve tried a few store-bought vegan buffalo sauces and nothing compares to our homemade vegan buffalo sauce.
We created this buttery hot sauce for our first cookbook, Great Vegan BBQ Without A Grill, and it’s become a favorite. We mix it into our vegan cheese sauce and it adds the perfect kick.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGETARIAN BUFFALO MACARONI AND CHEESE?
We use jackfruit to replace the chicken.
Jackfruit is a fruit that’s mostly grown in Asian countries and it’s incredible.
It shreds like chicken and when it’s young, it has a mild, almost non-existent flavor so it absorbs the flavors of whatever it’s cooked in.
Here’s how we make vegan buffalo mac and cheese:
Use a high-powered blender to make the buffalo cheese sauce.
This is where you blend the soaked cashews, buffalo sauce, vegan ranch dressing, and spices.
Cook the macaroni shells, then drain and rinse and put them in a large bowl to mix with the buffalo cheese sauce.
While the noodles are cooking, sauté the onion, garlic, jalapeno, celery, and jackfruit In a large skillet until the onion softens and the jackfruit gets nicely browned.
In a large mixing bowl, stir the noodles, vegan buffalo cheese sauce, and jackfruit mixture together until fully combined.
This is best eaten within a few hours of making because cashew cheese tends to dry out if it sits too long.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH VEGAN BUFFALO WINGS MACARONI AND CHEESE?
This is a great game day recipe to set out for a crowd. Make a double batch if you need to.
Serve it with the following vegan game day foods:
Make our vegan buffalo mac ‘n’ cheese recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb macaroni noodle shells
- FOR THE BUFFALO CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews soaked overnight or boiled for 15 minutes. See note.
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast do not use active, rising, or brewer’s yeast.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup buffalo sauce use more if you like it really spicy. Make our recipe or use vegan store-bought.
- ½ cup vegan ranch dressing use our recipe or vegan store-bought.
- ½ cup plant milk do not use coconut milk. Feel free to add more if you like a thin cheese sauce.
- Salt to taste
- FOR THE VEGAN CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE MIXTURE
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 16 oz young green jackfruit in water do not buy jackfruit in brine or ripe jackfruit as it will be too sweet. Drain and rinse 3 times and squeeze out the excess water. Shred with your hands or chop finely with a knife.
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, cored, and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Minced cilantro
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box.
- FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
- Drain and rinse the 1 ½ cups of soaked cashews and put in a high-powered blender. Add the 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, garlic clove, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ cup vegan buffalo sauce, ½ cup vegan ranch dressing, ½ cup plant milk, and salt to taste. Blend on a high speed for approximately 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides at 1 minute. If the sauce isn’t completely creamy, continue to blend until the cashews are totally broken down.
- FOR THE JACKFRUIT AND VEGETABLES
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat until it spreads in the pan and has a sheen.
- Add the onion, celery, and jalapeno and stir to coat in the oil. Cook for 4 minutes then add the jackfruit and stir well. Cook for 4 minutes, add the garlic, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the jackfruit begins to brown on the edges. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the buffalo cheese sauce and the jackfruit mixture and stir to combine. Finish with minced cilantro if desired.
For the creamiest cheese sauce, the cashews need to be soaked so they’re soft and puffy. Soak them in cool water in the refrigerator overnight or boil them in water for 15 minutes if you’re in a hurry.