Our Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip Calzones are the perfect game day appetizer! We start with our crispy vegan wonton wrapper, then fill it with our creamy and decadent Buffalo Chicken Dip sauce. They’re also baked, so you can feel good about eating them.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
EASY VEGAN APPETIZER
Okay, we get it, some people define easy as ripping open a bag of chips and a container of dip an easy appetizer.
Our definition of easy is a little more sophisticated than that.If it doesn’t involve more than five steps and 20 ingredients, we consider it easy.
The few steps that it takes to make these delicious vegetarian calzones is worth the effort.
You and your guests are going to love these, so let’s dig in!
HOW TO MAKE THE DOUGH FOR VEGAN CALZONES
Whisk the flour and salt until combined, then add the vegan egg and stir until it begins to form a ball of dough.
Add a tbsp of water at a time until it forms a solid ball.
If you accidentally add too much water and the dough is sticky, sprinkle more flour in and knead it until it forms a solid ball.
Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for five minutes, then pat it into a ball and place it in a bowl and cover it with a towel.
Let it rest for fifteen minutes.
While the dough is resting, make the prepare the filling.
Divide the dough.
On a lightly floured surface, roll one section into a long rectangle (about 10 to 12 inches long and 5 inches wide) until it’s about a quarter of an inch thick.
HOW TO MAKE CALZONES
Drop about a tbsp of vegan mozzarella and another tbsp of vegan ricotta in a row on the dough. (leaving space to close and pinch the dough shut).
Then add the jackfruit and a liberal dollop of the buffalo cream sauce on top of the cheese and jackfruit.
Fold the other end of the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together. Brush with a little water to make them stick if necessary.
Use a sharp knife and cut individual calzones and pinch the sides of the dough together.
Place the calzones on a baking sheet and brush both sides with a vegan egg wash or olive oil and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Dip them in our fresh and tangy vegan ranch dressing.
MORE EASY VEGAN PARTY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Make our healthy buffalo chicken calzone recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Calzones
- For the Dough
- 2 tbsp vegan egg substitute JUST egg or Follow Your Heart work well
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for rolling and kneading the dough
- 1/2 tsp sea salt finely ground
- For the Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight or boiled for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water add more if you need to thin it a bit more
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground sea salt or to taste
- ½ cup vegan buffalo sauce link to our homemade sauce is in the instructions.
- 1/3 cup vegan ranch dressing link to our homemade dressing is in the instructions.
- 8 oz vegan mozzarella shredded
- 8 oz vegan ricotta
- 15 oz young green jackfruit in water SEE NOTE
- ¼ cup vegan egg wash or olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh chives chopped for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (218˚C)
- FOR THE DOUGH
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour and salt together until combined. Add the vegan egg and fold until combined. Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the water at a time until the dough forms a solid ball. Don't over water or it will be sticky. Add a bit more flour if the dough is sticky.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover with a towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough and roll out one section on a floured surface until it’s approximately 10 to 12 inches long and 5 inches wide, and about ¼ inch thick.
- FOR THE FILLING
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit several times and lay on a clean towel (fragrance free) and pat dry.
- Drain and rinse the 1 cup of cashews and place them in a high-speed blender with the 2 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ cup water (add more if needed, keep in mind this should be thick, not runny), ¼ tsp paprika, ½ tsp sea salt, and 1/3 cup nutritional yeast.
- Blend on a high setting until smooth and creamy. You shouldn’t see any solid pieces of the nuts.
- HOW TO MAKE CALZONES
- Place 1 tbsp of shredded vegan mozzarella, 1 tbsp vegan ricotta, 1 tbsp shredded jackfruit, and 1 tbsp of the buffalo cream sauce on the edge of the dough, leaving enough room to pinch shut.
- Continue adding the calzone filling on the dough, leaving enough space to make individual calzones.
- Fold the other end of the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together. Brush with a little water to make them stick if necessary.
- Use a sharp knife and cut individual calzones and pinch the sides of the dough together.
- Place the calzones on a baking sheet and brush both sides with a vegan egg wash or olive oil and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side, or until golden brown.