This easy homemade vegan tartar sauce recipe is made with 8 simple ingredients and can whipped up in less than 15 minutes. It goes great with vegan fish sticks, vegan crab cakes, or vegan chicken nuggets.
This fresh dairy-free tartar sauce is incredibly easy to make and tastes so fresh and creamy, and it's gluten-free.
Store bought tartar sauce doesn't compare to the flavor of this homemade sauce.
The exact measurements can be found in the recipe card. This is a list of the crucial ingredients and possible substitutions.
- Vegan Mayo - This is the base of your tartar sauce. If you have nut allergies, this recipe is for you. If you can't find vegan mayo, feel free to substitute with plain vegan Greek yogurt.
- Sweet Pickle Relish - This adds tanginess, and a little sweetness to the sauce. If you don’t like sweet relish, then feel free to use dill relish. In a pinch you can also chop up whole pickles.
- Fresh Lemon Juice - Lemon adds a much needed acidity to the tartar sauce. You can substitute with white wine or apple cider vinegar.
- Capers - These little flower buds add a briny, salty flavor. If you don’t have capers you can substitute with green or Kalamata olives.
- Fresh Dill – Dill is best when it’s fresh, and it makes a big impact on the flavor of the sauce. Substitute with dried dill if you can’t find fresh.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce – Conventional Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies. Fortunately, Wizard’s is vegan and gluten-free. You can also make our Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce. Substitute with tamari or soy sauce.
- Dijon Mustard – Substitute with yellow mustard.
Here are the recipe instructions along with visual cues.
Add a half cup of vegan mayo to a medium sized mixing bowl.
Add the finely chopped pickle to the bowl.
Add the lemon juice to the bowl.
Add the chopped capers to the bowl.
Add the finely chopped dill to the bowl.
Add the vegan Worcestershire sauce to the bowl.
Add the Dijon mustard.
Add the salt and pepper.
Whisk the ingredients until fully combined and enjoy with your favorite food.
Yes, just swap the vegan mayonnaise with plain vegan Greek yogurt, or make it with a cashew base.
Yes, there are several different brands that make it, including Follow Your Heart.
You can substitute with vegan aioli, ranch dressing, or a tomato based cocktail sauce.
Store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you prefer a thicker sauce, add more mayo by the tablespoon until you get the desired thickness.
For a thinner sauce, add water by the teaspoon until you get the desired consistency.
More Vegan Sauce Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1 knife
- 1 whisk
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise we use Follow Your Heart brand
- 2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce we use Wizard's brand
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the capers and mince the dill.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ½ cup vegan mayo, 2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, 2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon capers, 1 tablespoon fresh dill, 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste until fully combined.