Our chewy, gooey, rich and chocolatey vegan brownies are the best! They’re easy to make, and they’re egg-free, dairy-free, and can be made gluten-free. If you like these, you should also try our black bean brownies and our chocolate chip pumpkin brownies.
Published January 21, 2014 and updated January 28, 2020.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
If you love chocolate as much as we do, then you’re going to love this rich, fudgy, and decadent recipe.
These aren’t something we make often, but when you’re craving a brownie, we don’t believe in messing around.
We want the perfect texture and flavor, and you can only get that with sugar, dark chocolate cocoa powder, butter (vegan in this case), and chocolate chips.
You’ll find all of those things in this easy brownie recipe.
WHAT KIND OF VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS ARE GOOD FOR BROWNIES?
When you want to make a super chocolatey brownie, you need to layer the chocolate.
A good cocoa powder and chocolate chips are a must!
We love Enjoy Life chocolate chunks, or chips, for all of our recipes that require chocolate chips.
They’re allergy-free chocolate chips, so you can feel good about eating them. FYI, this is not a sponsored post, we just truly love the product.
If you can’t find Enjoy Life, Simple Truth Organics semi-sweet chocolate chips are good.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BROWNIES
Preheat the oven to 350˚F (176˚C) and lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish or line it with parchment paper, leaving the ends hanging over the edge of the pan so you can lift the brownies out of the pan.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until completely combined.
Melt the butter and add it to the flour mixture, along with the sugar, egg replacer, vanilla, and chocolate chunks and stir until completely combined.
The batter should be thick.
Pour the brownie batter in the pan and spread it out evenly.
Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the pan.
Cool completely before slicing.
MORE VEGAN CHOCOLATE DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
OUR TOP VEGAN BAKING TIPS
- Find vegan replacement items that work like their non-vegan counterparts
- Our biggest example of this is vegan butter. Finding a vegan butter substitute that works like regular butter makes all the difference when learning how to make incredible plant-based brownies!
- Practice makes progress
- Do you remember the first time you tried baking? It probably didn't turn out amazingly well. It's the same thing with learning how to use different baking methods now that you're cooking vegan! Just keep on practicing and you'll be amazing!
- Start with something easy
- If you've just started plant-based baking, going straight to something like a Buche du Noel probably isn't the best decision. Start with something easy, such as these brownies or cookies.
Make our vegan brownie recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- 1 Oven
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoon sticks of vegan butter melted
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon Egg replacer prepared to make 2 egg equivalent We use JUST or Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chunks or chips
- Heat oven to 350°F (176˚C)
- Line an 9 x 9 (23 x 23) baking pan with parchment paper, leaving the ends hanging off the edges for easy removal of the brownies, or lightly grease the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 ⅓ cups of flour, ¾ cup of cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- In a small bowl, melt the 12 tablespoon vegan butter and add to the flour mixture with the 1 ⅓ cups of sugar, egg replacer that is the equivalent of 2 eggs (follow the instructions on the package), 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 cup of chocolate chunks and stir until combined. The batter should be thick.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away from the pan.
- Cool before slicing.