This thick and creamy cashew cheddar sauce is a great alternative to cheese.
It has the texture and the flavor of cheese, without the cholesterol and saturated fat.
Not only is it great on noodles or nachos, you can also dip your fries, veggies, pretzels, or anything that you want into this golden sauce.
Excited to try it? We thought so.
How to Make It
Soak the cashews overnight, or to save time, boil them in water for approximately 15 minutes, or until they’re soft and puffy.
You’ll also need to bake the sweet potato until it’s nice and soft.
To save time, bake it the day before or you can buy cooked sweet potato at the grocery store.
Drain and rinse the cashews and put them in a high-powered blender.
Scoop the flesh of the sweet potato from the skin and put it in the blender with the cashews.
Add the spices, apple cider vinegar, and water and blend until the texture of the mixture is smooth and creamy consistency, like a classic cheese sauce.
You shouldn’t detect and solids from the cashews. If you do, scrape the sides and keep blending.
Tips for Success
Make sure the cashews are soaked or boiled until they’re soft and puffy. This will ensure that they break down and become creamy.
Bake the potato until you can easily pierce it with a fork. The softer the potato, the creamier the sauce will get.
Don’t skip the apple cider vinegar and mustard, these are the ingredients that give the sauce the tangy flavor that you find in cheddar cheese.
Scrape the sides of the blender and keep blending until you can’t detect any solids from the cashews. It could take a few minutes if the cashews weren’t soft enough.
How to Store It
Keep it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Cashew cheese can thicken quite a bit as it sits, just put it back in the blender and add a tablespoon of water at a time and blend until you get the consistency that you like.
You can freeze this in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
Thaw it in the refrigerator and blend it with a tablespoon of water at a time until it thins out a bit.
How to Eat It
- Pour it over pasta.
- Use it as a dip.
- Make nachos with it.
- Smear it on a burger.
- Pour it over a baked potato.
- Use it as a salad dressing.
More Vegan Cheese Recipes You’ll Love
Make our healthy vegan cheese sauce recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
6 Ingredient Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 Oven
- 1 Blender
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 4 hours or boiled in water for 15 minutes, or until they’re soft and puffy.
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon dry yellow mustard
- 3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt you can adjust the amount of salt according to your dietary needs but it will taste different.
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ to ¾ cup unsweetened plant-based milk coconut milk is not suggested.
- 2 tsp yellow miso paste
- Soak or boil the cashews then drain and rinse well.
- Bake the sweet potato for an hour or it’s easily pierced with a fork. When it’s cool enough to handle, peel it and measure out one cup of the potato. You can also peel it and cut it into cubes and microwave until soft to the touch, approximately 15 minutes.
- Put the cashews, ½ cup sweet potato, 1 teaspoon dry yellow mustard, 3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoon miso paste, and ½ to ¾ cups (start with a ½ and add more until you get the desired consistency you’re looking for) milk in the blender and blend on a high speed until the sauce is thick and creamy. You shouldn’t be able to see or feel any pieces of the cashews. If you do, scrape the sides and keep blending until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Note: I use the “whole foods > soup” setting on my Blendtec blender to get the desired consistency.