This delicious, velvety sauce is the ultimate 5 ingredient vegan cheese sauce. Whip it up in your blender and use it as a dip, add it to a recipe that requires cheese sauce, or fold it into macaroni noodles for a creamy mac n' cheese.
This cheese sauce comes really close to tasting like dairy cheese sauce thanks to the addition of unsweetened plain Greek yogurt. I was so psyched when Kite Hill introduced Greek yogurt to their line of products, because I knew that I could add it to recipes where I needed a sharp tanginess that would mimic cheese.
While lemon juice, vinegar, and even pickle juice can work well to add that tang, they don’t come close to Greek yogurt because of the probiotics that are added to it. Those live cultures are what gives cheese that distinctive taste, and now that there’s finally a great vegan Greek yogurt, whipping up a tasty cheese sauce is easier than ever.
Like most vegan cheese recipes, the base is made out of soaked raw cashews. Few nuts or seeds make a creamy and thick cheese sauce like cashews. They’re mild in flavor and they blend up so smooth and silky.
You’ll need to soak the cashews in hot water for at least 4 hours so that they soften. This is especially important if you don’t have a high-powered blender, because you won’t want to have solid pieces of nuts in your white vegan cheese sauce.
Once the cashews are soft and puffy, it’s time to make the cheesy sauce
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE THAT TASTES LIKE CHEESE
First – Drain and rinse the cashews and put them in your blender.
Second – Add the Greek yogurt, sea salt, nutritional yeast, and water.
Third – Blend on a high speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides, and blend for 1 more minute, or until there are no visible pieces of nuts.
That’s it. 5 ingredients, 3 easy steps, and 1 delicious cashew cheese sauce. You can’t ask for better.
This sauce was created for a recipe that will be in our second cookbook. More on that exciting news later this month. The recipe required a tangy and delicious cheesy vegan sauce, so I created this. Once I tasted it, I knew that is was too good to be tucked away in a recipe. It needed its own special place on the blog so you could find it whenever you needed it. You’re welcome.
Make this and let us know what you think. We love hearing from you.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
The Ultimate 5 Ingredient Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 food processor or blender
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for at least 4 hours
- 5 ounce plain Greek Yogurt (we use Kite Hill brand) See note
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (not rapid rise or brewers yeast)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- Boil a pot of water and cover the raw cashews in the water and soak for at least 4 hours. The cashews should double in size and look plump and feel soft. Drain and rinse. See Note
- Put the cashews in the blender and add the yogurt, nutritional yeast, salt, and water in the blender and blend at a high speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and blend for another 1 minute, or until the sauce is smooth and creamy. You shouldn’t see any solid pieces of nuts.
- Fold it into anything that needs a thick and creamy cheese sauce or use it as a dip.