Our Vegan Russian Tea Cakes recipe is a classic cookie recipe that’s egg-free and dairy-free. They’re perfect for a cookie exchange or holiday tea. Make a batch of our Chocolate Dipped Vegan Ginger Cookies, and our Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies for a wonderful holiday cookie platter.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
RUSSIAN TEA CAKE, MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIE, ITALIAN WEDDING COOKIE, BUTTER BALLS, PECAN BALLS, OR SNOWBALL COOKIES?
This classic Christmas cookie has a lot of names. Regardless of what you call it, it’s a darn good cookie that’s worthy of as many names as you want to give it.
These buttery cookie balls with crunchy pecans are held together with flour and sugar, and then rolled in powdered sugar to make them even sweeter.
You’re going to love this classic cookie recipe because it’s so easy to make and delicious in every way.
WHAT’S THE HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN TEA CAKE?
Russian tea cakes are thought to have originated in Russia in the 1800’s.
People ate them during tea ceremonies and they were also made by Eastern European nuns.
When Eastern European nuns migrated to Mexico, they brought along the Russian Tea Cake recipe, and they became a staple at Mexican weddings.
Hence the birth of the Mexican Wedding Cookie.
You can read more about it, HERE.
HOW TO MAKE RUSSIAN TEA COOKIES
This is such and easy cookie recipe and fun to make. Definitely get the kids involved.
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
In a large mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup room temperature butter and ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the 2 tsp vanilla extract and ½ tsp salt and beat until combined.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and with a wooden spoon, fold the 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour until combined.
Fold in the ¾ cup chopped pecans into the cookie dough until evenly combined and scoop out liberal tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into balls.
Place evenly, spaced a ½ inch apart, on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
Cool completely on a wire rack and then roll in powdered sugar.
WHY BUTTER NEEDS TO BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR BAKING
Make sure that the vegan butter is softened to room temperature, and this is why:
- When butter is at room temperature it creates air bubbles, which makes a great texture when the cake is baked.
- If the butter is cold, the fat won’t make those air bubbles. If the butter is too warm, the air bubbles will collapse.
- Don’t be tempted to bring the butter to room temperature in the microwave. The butter will be too warm in spots, and too cold in other areas.
HOW TO STORE VEGAN TEA CAKES
Store the vegan Russian tea cakes in a covered air-tight container. If you need to stack them, use a layer of parchment paper between each layer to prevent them from sticking.
Freeze them for up to 3 months in an air-tight freezer safe container.
EASY VEGAN CHRISTMAS DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
Make our Russian Tea Cake recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, please take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, remember to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
This classic and easy to make cookie recipe is made with simple ingredients and has a soft and buttery texture with a bit of crunch from the pecans.
- 1 cup vegan butter room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp finely ground salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour use all-purpose gluten-free flour if desired
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup room temperature butter and ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the 2 tsp vanilla extract and ½ tsp salt and beat until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and with a wooden spoon, fold the 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour until combined.
- Fold in the ¾ cup chopped pecans into the cookie dough until evenly combined and scoop out liberal tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into balls.
- Place evenly, spaced a ½ inch apart, on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and then roll in powdered sugar.
- NUTRITIONAL DISCLAIMER
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- Freeze in an freezer safe container for up to 3 months.