Vegan cheddar & broccoli stuffed baked potato made with our 6 ingredient vegan cheddar cheese sauce. The ultimate comfort food.
You know you love it. You know you want it. You also know that you don’t want the cholesterol, fat, and calories that come with it. Well guess what my friends? You can get your big spoons out to play, because this vegan cheddar & broccoli stuffed baked potato has come to save the day. BOOM!
And just like that, life is good again.
If you saw Monday’s recipe—here—you saw the velvety, rich, and oh so good vegan cheddar cheese sauce that I made on a cold and snowy spring afternoon. #lovehateChicagointhespring
I made that sauce for one reason only. Stuffed potatoes. The ultimate comfort food.
The problem with most broccoli cheese baked potatoes is that they’re your arteries worst enemy. All of that processed cheese is filled with fat and other nasty things. We don’t want that stuff making our temples all sticky and clogged on the inside. But, we love our stuffed potatoes on a cold and blustery April afternoon, or on a busy weeknight, so what’s a person to do?
You whip up a batch of my 6 ingredient vegan cheddar cheese sauce. You won’t find any crap in this golden plant-based beauty. This sauce is made with sweet potato, cashews, nutritional yeast, dry mustard, apple cider vinegar, and onion powder. There’s some salt and pepper in it too, but I don’t count those as ingredients because they’re kitchen staples.
While you’re making the cheese sauce, bake a big fat potato and steam some fresh broccoli. When the potato is done, drench the broccoli with the sauce and scoop into the center and on top of that healthy potato. If you want to get really decadent with it, fry some onions and sprinkle them on top.
Now I know that a few people might argue with me about saying that potatoes are healthy. That’s okay, give me your best shot. I can take it. Because I know that I’m right.
- One cup of potato is approximately 161 calories.
- It has zero fat and zero cholesterol.
- It gives you 32% of your daily allowance of vitamin B-6
- It gives you 26% of your daily allowance of potassium.
- It gives you 22% of your daily allowance of copper.
- It gives you 22% of your daily allowance of vitamin C.
- It gives you 19% of your daily allowance of manganese.
- It gives you 17% of your daily allowance of phosphorus.
- It gives you 15% of your daily allowance of fiber.
- It gives you 13% of your daily allowance of vitamin B-3.
- It gives you 13% of your daily allowance of pantothenic acid.
- It gives you 12% of your daily allowance of Magnesium.
- It gives you 9% of your daily allowance of iron.
- It gives you 8% of your daily allowance of protein. (Yes, plants have protein.)
Potatoes are healthy! It’s the way that people prepare and what they put on potatoes that give them a bad rap. Fried potatoes, such as French fries and potato chips are bad. Baked potatoes are good. Mashed potatoes that are filled with heavy cream and butter are bad. Mashed potatoes with almond milk, and a drizzle of olive oil are good. Potatoes stuffed with fatty dairy cheese are bad, potatoes stuffed with plant-based cheese are good.
Now that you can make a healthy version of that jarred stuff that has a shelf life of a thousand years, you can fill your potatoes with as much thick and rich golden sweet potato and cashew cheddar cheese sauce as you want. Just don’t forget the broccoli, because they’re the co-star of this food show.
If you don’t or can’t eat broccoli, replace it with peas, spinach, or green beans. Actually, replace it with any vegetable you like. It’s all good.
How hungry are you for this potato right now?
What vegetable would you mix in with this cheese sauce?
Do us a favor, we want to show the world that plant-based foods are delicious and exciting. So let's connect and share all of this awesomeness with the world. Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Easy Vegan Cheddar & Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potato
- 1 Oven
- 1 Blender
- 1 pot with steamer basket
- 1 stove
- 2 large baking potatoes – washed and pierced on top multiple times
- 1 small head of broccoli florets
- 1 batch of vegan cheddar cheese sauce Link to recipe in the instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and bake the potatoes for an hour or until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- When the potato has baked for 40 minutes begin to prepare the broccoli.
- Put a steam basket in a large pot and fill with water to the top of the basket and bring to a boil. When the water is boiling add the broccoli and cover, reduce the heat to medium low and steam for approximately 10 minutes or until the broccoli is soft enough to pierce with a fork, but not mushy.
- While the broccoli is steaming make the cheese sauce if you haven’t already.
- In a large bowl mix the sauce and the broccoli together. Slice down the center of the potato and squeeze the ends of the potato toward the center to open it up. Spoon the cheesy broccoli in and on top of the potato.