Our vegan strata is made just like the one we used to make before we went vegan, thanks to Vegan Egg and Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage. This eggy breakfast casserole is so delicious and satisfying, and you can prep it the night before for an easy Sunday morning brunch recipe.
WHAT IS THE BEST BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE?
We're so happy you asked. 😉
The best breakfast casserole is made with love, and kindness, and tons of flavor. Just like ours is.
It's made with love because we make it for the people who mean the world to us, our family and friends.
It's made with kindness because you won't find any animal products in this egg and sausage breakfast casserole. We used Vegan Egg and Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage, both taste so close to the real thing that they're scary. Scary good!
It's also packed with flavor. We made this vegan strata with onions, garlic, fresh herbs, bell pepper, and other incredibly good foods.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
It may look fancy, but it's such a rustic and simple recipe to make. It requires a few steps, but they're all easy, so no worries.
- Cube the bread and set aside, then whisk the vegan egg, water, and plant milk and set that aside.
2. Cook the vegan sausage slices and plate when done, then cook the vegetables in the same pan. This ensures that the veggies absorb the flavor of the sausage from the leftover fat in the pan.
Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan that you cooked the sausage and veggies, wilt the spinach and then remove from the pan and coarsely chop it. This allows some of the excess water from the spinach to be
released on the cutting board instead of in the casserole, which would make it soggy. Put the chopped spinach on a paper towel to absorb even more water.
4. Now it's time to construct the strata. Butter a 13-inch round or a 13 x 8 oblong pan, 3-inches deep. Evenly layer the bottom of the pan with half of the cubed bread, sprinkle half of the
spinach over the bread, then half of the sausage over the spinach, half of the onion, pepper mixture over the sausage, half of the herbs over the vegetable mixture, and half of the vegan Parmesan over the veggies. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
5. Pour the vegan egg mixture in a spiral pattern over the casserole to ensure total coverage and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the top is a golden brown.
PREPARE THE VEGAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE THE NIGHT BEFORE
You can prepare the vegan sausage and egg strata or casserole the night before. Just store it covered in the refrigerator and bake it in the morning.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH A VEGAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
We love to serve this vegetable, sausage, and egg casserole with our Healthier Vegan Ambrosia Fruit Salad. Click here for the recipe.
If you're feeling really decadent, or you're serving a big crowd, our Homemade Vegan Cinnamon Rolls are always a welcome addition at the table. Click here for the recipe.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT A VEGAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
You can store it covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. Cover it in foil and reheat in a 350F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through.
We haven't tried freezing this, but it should freeze well for up to three months, as long as it's stored in a freezer safe dish.
Make our vegan strata recipe and follow and tag us on Instagram @veganosity, #veganosity. We LOVE seeing your gorgeous creations.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Vegan Sausage, Egg, and Vegetable Breakfast Casserole
- 10 cup Italian White Bread cubed (approximately 1 medium loaf)
- 11 tablespoon Follow Your Heart Egg Vegan, 4 ozvegan egg SEE NOTE
- 2 ¾ cups ice water
- 1 ¼ cup plant-based creamer use plain only, not sweetened or flavored
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Beyond Meat Hot Italian sausage sliced
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 5 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup vegan parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and butter a 13-inch, 3-inch deep round or a 13 x 8 x 3-inch long pan.
- Whisk the vegan egg, water, plant milk, and nutmeg in a medium bowl until fully combined and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook for approximately 8 minutes, stir frequently, or until they’re browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the same pan you cooked the sausage in and cook for three minutes. Stir frequently. Add the bell pepper and cook for five minutes, stir frequently. Add the garlic and salt and pepper and cook for two minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the spinach to the same pan and cook until it’s wilted. Approximately 3 minutes. Make sure to toss.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and chop on a clean cutting board. This will ensure that the excess water in the spinach is removed and it won’t make the casserole soggy. To remove the remaining water, place the chopped spinach on a paper towel.
- In the buttered pan, spread half of the cubed bread evenly on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the spinach evenly over the bread. Sprinkle half of the sausage evenly over the spinach. Sprinkle half of the onion and pepper mixture evenly over the spinach. Sprinkle half of the herbs evenly over the onion and pepper mixture. Sprinkle half of the parmesan evenly over the onion and pepper mixture. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Give the egg mixture one more whisk and pour evenly in a spiral motion over the casserole to ensure total coverage.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- You can prepare this the night before. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
The above links are affiliate links. Any Amazon purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.