Don’t throw those pumpkin seeds away, because our spicy roasted pumpkin seeds are so delicious and healthy! It’s also a fun recipe to make with the kids. They make a great snack, especially when paired with our Pumpkin Spice Martini.
Originally published on Oct. 29, 2014 and updated on October 9, 2019.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and creators of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn't know, we're published cookbook authors. We've written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don't even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
HEALTHY PUMPKIN SEEDS RECIPE
If you’ve never made homemade crunchy, salty, spicy roasted pumpkin seeds, you should!
This delicious and fun snack is one of our favorite fall snacks, and the pumpkin seeds are super nutritious.
This is a fun recipe to make with the kids after carving Halloween jack-o-lanterns. It’s one of our family traditions that everyone looks forward to.
WHICH PUMPKINS HAVE THE BEST SEEDS?
We use the seeds from every kind of pumpkin. Some have more than others, and here’s how to pick the ones that have the most seeds:
Pick large pumpkins.
Tap on the pumpkin. If the pumpkin sounds hollow, it means that is has a larger cavity and probably more seeds.
Choose the freshest and firmest pumpkins. Soft pumpkins could potentially be moldy inside, so fresh is best.
HOW TO PREPARE PUMPKIN SEEDS FOR ROASTING
The first thing you’ll need to do is cut the top or the bottom off of the pumpkin.
Use a large sturdy spoon or a pumpkin scraper to remove the “guts” of the pumpkin. Seeds will be attached to the stringy pieces. Put them, and all of the loose seeds in a large bowl.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and put the seeds, along with the pumpkin pieces that the seeds are stuck to, in the water and boil for 1 minute.
Drain the seeds in a colander, most of the seeds should have come loose from the pumpkin. Separate the seeds and rinse well, then spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet and pat dry.
HOW TO ROAST PUMPKIN SEEDS IN A PAN
Prepare the pumpkin seeds as directed above.
Put the seeds in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt and pepper until coated.
Spread the seeds evenly out on the rimmed baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes. Shake the pan so the seeds don’t stick to the pan, but are not overlapping. Roast for another 5 minutes, and shake again. Continue the process one or two more times until they’re lightly toasted.
We think this is the best pumpkin seed recipe because we love the smoky flavor and the light spiciness.
If you’re not into spice, just add salt to taste.
TOASTED PUMPKIN SEED NUTRITION
- Pumpkin seeds are a great source of manganese, phosphorous, copper, magnesium, zinc, protein, and iron.
- The seeds in pumpkins provide a diverse group of antioxidants that aren’t found in other foods.
- Pumpkin seeds have anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
To learn more about the nutritional benefits of pumpkin seeds, click HERE.
HOW TO STORE ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. If they last that long.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPE YOU’LL LOVE
Make our homemade spicy pumpkin seeds recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
SPICY ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 4 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 385° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Put enough water to cover the seeds in a pot and bring to a boil. Salt the water.
- Scoop the pumpkin seeds out of the pumpkin. Some of the seeds may cling to the pumpkin, try to remove the seeds. Any of the seeds that won't separate from the pumpkin can be put in the boiling water with the pumpkin. This will help them separate.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the boiling water for 1 minute and drain in a colander.
- Rinse the seeds in the colander. Remove any excess pumpkin flesh. Spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and pat them dry.
- Put the seeds in a large bowl and add the oil and spices. Stir well to evenly coat.
- Spread the seeds out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake the pan to spread the seeds out. Bake for 5 minutes and shake again. Continue the process until the seeds are a light brown. This takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Let the seeds cool.