Vegan fettuccine Alfredo sauce is ultra creamy and so delicious! It's made with 9 simple ingredients in under 30 minutes. The perfect date night dinner. Serve it with our vegan seitan chicken recipe.
This creamy dairy-free Alfredo sauce is just as delicious as traditional Alfredo sauce, and so easy to make.
The secret to making this vegan Alfredo sauce recipe taste like the real deal is vegan Greek yogurt, such as Kite Hill Plain Unsweetened Greek Yogurt.
It gives the sauce the slight bit of tanginess and a beautiful silky texture.
This cashew sauce was inspired by The Ultimate 5 Ingredient Vegan Cheese Sauce on this site, and we know that you're going to love it.
Here's a visual cue of the ingredients in this vegan Fettucini Alfredo recipe with important notes on some of the ingredients.
- Alfredo Sauce - the base of the sauce is made with cashews and vegan Greek yogurt. It whips up in the blender in less than 5 minutes.
- Pasta - to make this recipe vegan, make sure to buy fettuccini noodles that are made with semolina flour and water, no egg.
- Lemon - lemon brightens the sauce and is an important ingredient.
- Basil - you can substitute the basil with flat leaf parsley if necessary.
How to Make Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
Here is a step by step tutorial with visual cues.
- Boil the cashews for 10 minutes, or until they're soft and puffy, then add them to the blender with the remaining Alfredo sauce ingredients and blend until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
2. Boil the fettuccini noodles according to the instructions on the package, then drain them.
3. Toss the fettuccini and cashew Alfredo sauce together until the pasta is fully coated.
- Gluten-Free - to make this vegan Alfredo pasta gluten-free you can use GF fettuccini.
- Nut-Free - make this vegan Alfredo sauce without cashews. You can substitute with raw sunflower seeds.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients to make this your own. Here are some ideas to switch things up.
- Spicy - sprinkle red pepper flakes over the pasta to give it some heat.
- Mushrooms - sautéed mushrooms will add a delicious umami flavor and a meaty texture to the dish.
- Vegan Chicken - make chicken Alfredo by adding sliced vegan chicken.
- High Powered Blender - we recommend a Vitamix or Blendtec blender to make the creamiest vegan sauces.
- Pasta Pot - The best pasta pot is one that has an integrated strainer. We love this Cuisinart pasta pot and steamer set.
- Microplane - a good microplane is essential for zesting and grating vegan parmesan cheese, which we recommend grating a liberal amount on top of your fettuccini Alfredo.
Recipe FAQ and Tips
While they can't eat traditional Alfredo sauce, they can eat this vegan version because there isn't a trace of dairy in it.
This recipe is. It's made with simple whole food ingredients and vegan yogurt.
We don't recommend using almond milk because it's so thin. If you choose to add a plant-based milk to the sauce, we recommend unsweetened and unflavored oat or soy milk.
If the sauce looks too thin, add more boiled cashews and vegan Greek yogurt to the sauce. We don't recommend adding corn starch as it can make the sauce gritty.
Store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cashew sauce thickens as it sets, so you may need to blend it again with a bit of water or soy or oat milk to make it thinner.
Freeze it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat on low heat. You may need to add a bit of water or oat or soy milk to make it thinner, as cashew sauce thickens as it sets.
More Vegan Pasta Sauces
Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
- 1 High Powered Blender
- 1 stove
- 1 Pasta pot
- 16 ounce fettuccine noodles
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews soak in water overnight or boil in water for 10 to 15 minutes
- 15 ounce plain vegan Greek yogurt see note
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk see note
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves blanched, see note
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ground sea salt See Note
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup 40 g fresh basil, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley
- sauteed mushrooms
- red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once the cashews have soaked /boiled and they’re soft and puffy, drain and rinse well. Put them in the blender along with the 15 ounces of yogurt, ½ cup milk (add more if needed, see note), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, blanched garlic (see note), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, ½ teaspoon oregano, and salt to taste and blend for 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides a few times to ensure that you don’t detect solid pieces of the nuts. If you have a Blendtec blender, select the Whole Foods setting and the soup setting within that setting for the creamiest sauce.
- When the pasta water is boiling, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt to the water (see note) and place the pasta in the water. Make sure it’s completely covered in the water and stir, cook according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain the pasta water when done and put the pasta back in the pot. Add the Alfredo sauce and stir to coat the pasta.