December 4th is National Cookie Day! Let's start celebrating a day early with raw chocolate chip cookie dough balls.
We all know that eating the cookie dough is the best part of making cookies, and vegan cookie dough is the best because you don't need to worry about getting sick from the raw eggs.
What was I thinking?!?! I shouldn’t make things like this when I’m home alone, because nobody is here to prevent me from being an outright glutton! Someone, please, come and take these away from me right now. If you don’t, I’m going to be in a sugar coma by the time my husband gets home from work.
I’m not even a big fan of sweets, but these, well, I’m thinking they must be causing me to regress back to my childhood days of NOT being able to eat the cookie dough because of the raw eggs. But now I’m a vegan, and my cookie dough is safe to eat, and I finally know what I was missing all of those years.
Chewy, sticky, brown sugary batter, with chocolate chips, and a chocolate coating, sprinkled with crushed candy canes. Is this what it must feel like to be an elf in Santa’s village? Eating things like these, and drinking hot chocolate all day long – every day? How do I get an interview?
HOW TO MAKE RAW CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl until it turns into a solid sticky mixture.
2. Spoon out a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball and dip in the melted chocolate.
3. Roll in the crushed candy cane
That's it, three easy steps and you'll have the most delicious raw cookie dough bites ever!
You have to make these for your family and friends. They’re perfect for a holiday cookie exchange, or a fun cooking project with the kids.
HOW TO STORE RAW COOKIE DOUGH
The best part of this recipe – besides how freaking amazing they taste – is that there is no baking involved. They’re raw! Just freeze them in a freezer safe bag and take them out to thaw fifteen minutes before you want to eat them.
TOPPINGS TO ROLL RAW COOKIE DOUGH BALLS IN
You can make an assortment, make some of them candy cane coated, some chocolate coated, and maybe even roll some in coconut or nuts, or, just eat them as they are. There are a million things you could cover them in, let your creative juices flow, but be sure to make them!
I’m going to keep this short and sweet, so you can get into the kitchen and try them out. Let me know what you think! And, in case you can't find vegan chocolate chips at a grocer near you, I've provided links to Amazon.com, so you can order the chips and have them delivered to your door step.
Click here to order the mini chips and the chocolate chunks Click here to order your candy canes
Veganosity is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. We make a small commission when you order from Amazon. It helps us afford the groceries to develop all of our recipes, and to pay for the maintenance of our site. We thank you in advance for your consideration.
Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
- 1 and 1/2 cups of white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of vegan butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of vegan sugar bone char free white sugar
- 1/4 cup of apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of vegan mini chocolate chips Enjoy Life is my preferred brand
- 1 10 oz bag of vegan chocolate chunks Enjoy Life is my preferred brand
- 4 candy canes crushed
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in 1/3 increments until completely blended. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Cover a large plate or platter in parchment or wax paper. Scoop 1 teaspoon of batter from the bowl and form into a ball and place on the paper. Continue the process until you’ve used up the batter. You can make larger balls if you like, but these are sweet so I suggest using a teaspoon of batter per ball. Put the balls in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Put the candy canes in a quart size plastic bag and close it tight. Place the bag on a wooden or plastic cutting board and smash them with a rolling pin until they are in small crumbles. Pour into a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Put the chocolate chunks in a medium size microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes. Stir, and heat for 1 minute. Continue stirring and heating for 1 minute increments until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and use a spoon to dip them and cover in the chocolate. Use the spoon to roll them in the peppermint candy pieces and return to the platter they were on. Continue until they are all covered in the chocolate and peppermint.