Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins!
What’s better than a cozy loaf of warm banana bread? A steamy chocolate chip banana bread muffin.
Don’t get me wrong, I love banana bread, but when you’re in a hurry and you need to eat on the go, a crumbly slice of bread just won’t do it. Nobody wants to wear their food, and sweet bread crumbs and chocolate chips just love to make their mark on clothing. Not a good look. Trust me, I speak from experience.
Thanks to the invention of the muffin tins, we can have the best of both worlds. Delicious banana bread in the form of a muffin, so you can grab it and go.
Banana Bread Muffins Made With Aquafaba
This banana bread muffin recipe with chocolate chips is kind of a reverse recipe of my Chunky Monkey muffin recipe. You won’t find chunks of bananas in these because this recipe is based on my classic banana bread, but when it comes to flavor and texture, both are winners. And, instead of using a flax egg I used aquafaba, the perfect egg substitute!
Notes on the Bananas: The bananas should be very ripe, which means that there should be brown spots on the peel and they should be soft to the touch. If your bananas aren’t ripe enough your muffins won’t turn out well.
Notes on Baking: Every oven is different. Make sure to insert a toothpick in the muffins after twenty minutes. If it comes out clean the muffins are done, if you can see batter, bake for another five minutes and test again.
Do us a favor, we want to show the world that plant-based foods are delicious and exciting. So let's connect and share all of this awesomeness with the world. Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of aluminum free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of finely ground sea salt
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons of vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) – butter should be room temperature
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- ½ cup of aquafaba
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk more if necessary
- 2 cups of vegan chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life
- Preheat the oven to 375° and grease the muffin tin
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt until combined.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until creamy and smooth. Add the aquafaba and vanilla and beat on medium high for one minute. The butter will separate and look as if it’s curdled.
- Add the bananas one at a time and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the flour and beat on a low setting until just combined. Add the almond milk while you’re beating the flour and banana mixture. The batter should be thick, not runny. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter until fully combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Fill them 2/3 full. Bake for 10 minutes and reduce the heat to 350° and bake for another ten minutes. The muffins should be golden brown. Check to make sure that the center is done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean they’re done. If not, bake for another five minutes and test again.