15 minute 8 ingredient homemade vegan enchilada sauce. Say that three times fast. I tried and my tongue got twisted. Then I tasted some vegan enchilada sauce and it snapped right back into place.
Really, that happened. 😉
Have you ever made your own enchilada sauce? It’s so dang easy. Make it once and you’ll never buy the canned stuff again.
All you’ll need to make it is vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, cinnamon, tomato paste, olive oil, and flour. If you want to add a kick you can add a bit of smoked chipotle chili powder as a ninth ingredient. That’s all up to you.
What do those eight ingredients have in common? They’re vegan pantry staples. You should have them in your cabinets at all times, which means that you can make homemade vegan enchilada sauce whenever you want!
Once you’ve gathered up the ingredients put them all in a sauce pan, stir, bring to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, and stir occasionally until it thickens. It should be thick and saucy, not thin and runny.
This sauce is sooooo much fresher and tastier than anything you could ever pour out of a can. And, you won’t have to spend time looking for sauce that comes in a BPA free can. Yay!
My vegan enchilada sauce from scratch is a little bit spicy, a little bit savory, a tiny bit chocolaty, and absolutely delicious. It's so good you might just eat it by the spoonful.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
15 Minute 8 Ingredient Homemade Vegan Enchilada Sauce
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour mixed with 1/4 cup of water until completely dissolved
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- If you like your sauce extra spicy you can add a little chipotle chili powder for an extra kick.
- Mix the flour with the water until it’s completely dissolved and smooth.
- Heat the vegetable broth in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. When it begins to boil add the chli powder, cumin, cocoa powder, cinnamon, tomato paste, and flour water and whisk together until fully combined. Add the salt. You won’t need much if any so be careful not to over salt. Reduce the heat to simmer and stir occasionally until it thickens. Approximately 10 minutes.