These healthier zucchini & carrot fritters are oil-free and baked, not fried, yet they're crispy and so delicious!
Fritters. Do you love that name as much as I do? It’s such a friendly and cute name for something that I absolutely love to eat. Seriously, how could you not like a fritter? Especially these crispy, baked, vegan oil-free zucchini & carrot fritters. Can you believe it, they don’t have a drop of oil in them, and they turned out this crispy and gorgeous!
The secret to getting a crispy fritter without using oil is lemon juice. Alex makes the most delicious baked home fries with lemon juice, so I thought I should experiment with the fritters to see how they’d turn out. As you can see, they turned out perfect, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
The zucchini was freshly picked from my garden, as was the sage, and you guys, I’ve never had a better zucchini fritter in my life. There’s something magical about picking your own vegetables and then eating them right away. Be prepared to see lots of zucchini recipes over the next few weeks because they’re growing like crazy, and I’m planning on having lots of fun cooking up some good stuff to share with you.
My motto is, eat the rainbow. The more color you add to your diet—and I’m not talking about Skittles—the better you’re going to feel. Just look at the colors in this batter. Green zucchini, orange carrots, red onion, and green sage all mixed up to give your body the nutrients it needs and your palate the deliciousness it deserves.
The best part of these oil-free zucchini & carrot fritters is that they’re truly a guilt free food. Because they’re not fried, you can eat as many as you want without feeling like you’ve over done it. Plants rock!
To make these pretty patties, you’ll need a box grater or a food processor. The food processor is the best way to go because you won’t risk taking off skin when you get down to the end of the zucchini and carrots, and it goes so much faster.
Grate one large zucchini and 4 medium carrots until they look like this.
Place the zucchini and carrots on paper towels and sprinkle some salt (to remove excess water) over them and let them sit for about twenty minutes. Now put some paper towels on top of the veggies and squeeze the excess water out and put them in a large mixing bowl.
Add the onion, fresh sage, salt and pepper, flour and two flax eggs to the bowl and stir until it turns into a sticky ball. Scoop out about one-quarter of a cup of the batter and use your hands to mold into a patty. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I ran out and they stuck a bit to the pan), put the patties down, and squeeze the top with lemon juice and put in the oven.
Check them every ten minutes and when they’re golden brown flip them and squeeze more juice on top and keep checking them until the other side is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them rest for about five minutes.
Top them with a dollop of guacamole and sriracha. My husband was a bit skeptical when I told him that I didn’t use oil, but after one bite he was sold. These are so crispy, savory, and perfect. Not to mention, super healthy and easy to make.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Have you ever had a fritter?
Do you monitor your oil consumption?
Do you grow your own vegetables?
Tools I used to make these fritters:
Veganosity is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. We make a small commission when you order from Amazon. It helps us afford the groceries to develop all of our recipes, and to pay for the maintenance of our site. We thank you in advance for your consideration.
VEGAN OIL-FREE ZUCCHINI & CARROT FRITTERS
- 1 large zucchini Approximately 3 cups – finely shredded
- 3 large carrots Approximately 3 cups – peeled and finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons of finely ground sea salt
- 1 large red onion – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh sage leaves packed in the cup and then minced
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons of water (flax eggs)
- 1 and 3/4 cup of stone ground flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of finely ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the fritters from sticking.
- Shred the zucchini and carrots and place on a bed of paper towels and sprinkle the two tablespoons of salt evenly over the top, then rub the salt throughout. Let sit for twenty minutes until the zucchini and carrots release their water. Squeeze with paper towels to absorb the water.
- In a small bowl mix the flax and water until well combined and let sit. These are the flax eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the zucchini, carrots, onion, sage, flax eggs, flour, one teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Stir until it turns into a sticky ball. Scoop a quarter cup of batter and use your hands to form patties. Place on the baking sheet and squeeze the lemon juice evenly over the top of each patty. Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, checking every ten minutes, until they’re golden brown. Flip, squeeze lemon juice on top of each patty, and bake until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.