We’ve all added bits of celery to soups and dishes that require the special aroma and flavor that only sautéed celery can give, but have you ever used an entire head of celery to make soup?
If you answered no, you need to change that answer fast.
Vegan cream of celery soup is incredibly easy to make, and it’s so, so good. The texture is silky and creamy; exactly what you’d expect from a creamed soup. The flavor is light and bright and lovely. And the color, as you can see, is gorgeous.
This isn’t really a spring time soup because celery is in season all of the time. It’s the one vegetable that you can always find at the supermarket. But that color sings spring, so I thought March was the perfect time to share this with you.
Like I said, it’s so easy to make. All you’ll need to do is sweat a white onion in a medium sauce pan while you steam the head of celery in another pan. Once the onion and celery are ready, add them to a high powered blender and blend them with almond milk, basil, lemon juice, celery leaf, and salt and white pepper.
That’s all it takes to make this beautiful and elegant vegan cream of celery soup.
Vegan cream of celery soup would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, or Passover. It’s also a great recipe for a busy weeknight. In under thirty minutes you can have a steaming bowl of delicious soup on the table. Serve it with a salad and a loaf of warm whole grain bread.
Have you ever had cream of celery soup?
What are you doing for St. Patrick’s Day?
Are you ready for spring weather?
If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. Alex and I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes. And let’s connect! Hop on over to Facebook page and give it a like, or follow us on Instagram or Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did.
Easy Vegan Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 Blender
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 stove
- 1 medium white onion – peeled and chopped
- 1 head of celery – cut the ends off and cut the stalks into thirds
- ¼ cup of white wine or 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar plus 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of vegan butter optional
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of fresh celery leaf
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground sea salt use at least one teaspoon to season
- ½ teaspoon of ground white pepper
- Put a steamer basket in a large pot and fill with water level with the top of the basket. Bring the water to a boil. Add the celery stalks, cover the pan and steam for approximately ten minutes or until the celery is soft.
- In a medium sauce pan add a tablespoon of water to the pan and heat on medium heat. When the water begins to steam add the chopped onion and stir. Turn the heat to medium-low and cover the pan to allow the onions to sweat for approximately four minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine or the white wine vinegar and water. Turn off the heat.
- Add the butter to the pan with the onion and let it melt.
- Put the almond milk, celery, onions, basil, lemon juice, celery leaf, salt and white pepper in the blender and blend on the soup setting, or on a high speed, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the soup back into the pan that you used to cook the onions and heat to desired temperature.