These are so pretty, delicious, healthy, and easy to make. Little phyllo cups filled with savory onions, asparagus, herbs, walnuts, and vegan cheddar cheese, yes please!
I spent a day playing around with asparagus recipes last week, and these vegan caramelized onion and asparagus cups won. I love the combination of flavors and the festive look of them. I also like that they are the perfect size to just pop one in your mouth and eat it. They're savory with a nice fresh burst of asparagus, crunchy walnuts, creamy vegan cheese, and a crispy little phyllo cup. The recipe for these delicious little savory cups is at the bottom of the page.
VEGAN CARAMELIZED ONION AND ASPARAGUS CUPS
- 2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups asparagus – finely diced
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- ⅓ cup of toasted chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of sage
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Splash of dry white wine – approximately 3 tablespoons
- ¼ cup of shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 16 phyllo dough cups see note
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook until they become translucent. Turn the heat down to medium and add the asparagus and cook for 10 minutes. Add the walnuts, herbs, salt, pepper, and wine. Cook until the wine evaporates. Turn off the heat and add the cheese, stir well until combined. Fill the phyllo dough cups with the mixture.
- Bake the phyllo cups according to the instructions on the package.