The BEST Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Muffins! These soft pillows of pumpkin and pecan deliciousness are the best we've ever eaten. We think you'll agree once you make a batch of your own.
You can thank my son for this recipe. He was home to watch Alex and I run the Chicago Marathon. Yes, we did it, and it was the most fun I’ve had all year. Anyway, he came home to watch us and he suggested that I create a pumpkin muffin recipe for the blog. Of course, I wondered why I hadn’t thought of that? I love pumpkin. I love muffins. Really, why hadn’t I thought of that?
So here we are, a week later, and I’m noshing on these delicious pumpkin muffins with pecans. They truly are the best muffins I’ve ever eaten. The pumpkin puree adds so much flavor and moisture and denseness to the batter, yet, they’re soft and fluffy all at the same time. The pecans (my favorite nut) lend sweetness and crunchiness to make them so much fun to eat.
Take one bite and fall in love with a muffin. It sounds ridiculous, but you will. They taste like fall. Like walking through a path of crackly and colorful dried leaves as a crisp breeze makes you zip up your jacket a little tighter. Like running through a pumpkin patch as you look for that perfect gourd to carve into your next jack-o-lantern. Like sipping a maple pecan latte on your front porch on a sunny autumn morning. That’s what these lovely, portable, best pumpkin muffins I’ve ever eaten taste like.
If that description didn’t make you want to run to your kitchen and whip up a batch of these homemade pumpkin pecan muffins, then bye Felicia. Talk to the hand, because I’ll never understand you. For the rest of you sane people, let’s make some magic.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PECAN MUFFINS FROM SCRATCH
This easy pumpkin muffin recipe is made with good old all-purpose flour. I was feeling old-fashioned. If you reject or can’t eat gluten, then feel free to use all-purpose gluten-free flour. We like to use King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Multipurpose Flour It always yields the best results.
First – Whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices together until well blended. It’s going to smell really good, so take it all in.
Second – Whisk the apple sauce and baking powder together until it’s foamy. This is your egg-replacer. Cool, right?
Third – Beat the vegan butter and sugar until it’s nice and creamy. Add the apple sauce, vanilla, maple syrup, and pumpkin puree and beat it for two minutes at a high speed.
Fourth – Stir in the flour mixture and chopped pecans until just blended. Don’t overwork it or you’ll end up with tough muffins. No good.
Fifth – Use an ice-cream scoop or a large spoon to fill the greased muffin tins ¾ of the way full and press a whole pecan on the tops. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Five simple steps will gift you with approximately 16 delicious pumpkin pecan muffins, made from scratch in your kitchen. Bonus, your house is going to smell better than a candle could ever make it smell.
You probably won’t have to worry about storing these because they won’t last more than a day, but if there are leftovers you can store them in an air-tight container and reheat in the microwave. Or, you can freeze them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Make the BEST vegan pumpkin pecan muffins for you and your family and friends today and gather around the table with mugs of coffee and take a minute to catch up with one another. And don’t forget to come back and let us know how much you liked them. We love to hear from you.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
THE BEST VEGAN PUMPKIN PECAN MUFFINS
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce plus ½ teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (See Note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 10 tablespoon vegan butter at room temperature (we use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup granulated vegan white sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chopped pecans plus approximately 16 whole pecans for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly grease the individual cups of a muffin pan
- Whisk the apple sauce and baking powder until foamy. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until combined. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add the applesauce, vanilla, maple syrup, and pumpkin puree and beat on a high speed for 2 minutes. It won’t be smooth and creamy, that’s okay.
- Stir in the flour and pecans until just combined.
- Use an ice-cream scoop or a large spoon and fill each muffin cup ¾ of the way full and press a whole pecan on the tops. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes , or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and invert on a wire baking rack to cool completely.