Vegan sausage gravy that's incredibly flavorful and easy to make, poured over flaky and buttery homemade biscuits. This is a Southern breakfast, or dinner, at it's finest.
HOW TO MAKE BISCUITS AND GRAVY VEGAN
This vegan gravy is everything. The flavor, the luscious texture, and the memories of summer vacations in the South with family, how could it get any better? Just add biscuits.
If you've never had biscuits and gravy, now is the time.
We've veganized this classic comfort food recipe and it tastes every bit as good as I remember, thanks to Beyond Meat sausage. We chose their Hot Italian, because it added so much flavor to the gravy.
We also used vegan butter and plant-based milk instead of dairy.
You'll still get a thick and velvety gravy with incredible flavor, and what you won't get is cholesterol and a lot of saturated fat. Not so if you use animal products to make this recipe.
Our easy vegan biscuits are also made with vegan butter and plant-based milk, and they're fabulous! Check out the flaky layers and the height......
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SAUSAGE GRAVY
Make our Homemade Vegan Biscuits. Click HERE for the recipe.
While the biscuits are baking, Melt the butter in a large pan on medium-high heat. When the butter is melted and bubbling, add the crumbled sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
Evenly sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to cover, then whisk in the milk (see the NOTE at the bottom of the page) and whisk continuously until the gravy starts to thicken, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the spices and salt and pepper to taste and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until the gravy is as thick as you want it to be.
We like ours to be thick, not watery, so we cook it for approximately 15 minutes. Make sure you turn the heat down and stir often so it doesn't scorch.
That's it, now all you'll need to do is drown those biscuits in the gravy and sprinkle some chopped parsley on top for color.
NOTE: Do not use milk that has added sugar, vanilla, dates, or anything that sweetens or adds flavor to the milk or the recipe will not turn out.
Make vegan biscuits and sausage gravy recipe and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- 14 ounce ground vegan sausage crumbled
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ¼ cups unsweetened plant-based milk see note
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne more if you like a good kick or omit if you don’t do spicy food
- Salt and pepper to taste
6 to 8 vegan biscuits, click link in instructions for the recipe
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Bake the biscuits. Click HERE for the recipe.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the butter is hot and bubbling, stir in the sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to cover. Whisk in the milk and continue whisking until the milk starts to boil and thicken, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the spices and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook until it thickens to your liking.
- Pour the gravy over the biscuits and top with chopped parsley.