You're going to love these skillet fried potatoes with chives. Use an iron skillet to make these so they get nice and crispy on the outside.
Get your face right up in here and take a whiff of these crispy little cubes of skillet fried potatoes with chives deliciousness. Can you stand it? This is my husband’s recipe, and it’s so gooood! The recipe is ridiculously simple in terms of ingredients and cooking, and I’ve yet to find a better pan fried potato anywhere.
These savory little morsels are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The red onion and chive add a touch of sweet and heat, and they’re perfectly salted. When I see him get the iron skillet out on Sunday mornings I know that I’m in for a treat. Huh, that kinda rhymed.
I can’t believe that I haven’t shared this recipe with you all yet. I think it must have been the timing. He either made them waaay too early for me to take a good photograph of them, or it was cloudy and dreary so I didn’t feel like taking a picture, or, I was so ravenous that I wasn’t about to click my camera before digging in. Fortunately for you, the last time he made them it was mid-morning, sunny, and I wasn’t starving.
My favorite way to eat these is with a lot of freshly ground black pepper and a fruit salad on the side, along with a big cup of coffee. You could mix them into a tofu scramble if you want some protein. They’re also pretty awesome with a drizzle of sriracha.
So what are you waiting for? Get to scrubbing those spuds and heating up that iron skillet, they’re not going to make themselves. And just in case you have leftovers, I’m going to post an amazing taco recipe tomorrow, featuring pan fried potatoes with chives!!! Get ready for it!
Veganosity is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. We make a small commission when you order from Amazon. It helps us afford the groceries to develop all of our recipes, and to pay for the maintenance of our site. We thank you in advance for your consideration.
Skillet Fried Potatoes with Chives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of canola oil – start with one and add more if the first doesn’t coat the pan
- 6 medium russet potatoes – scrubbed and diced into ½ cubes
- 1 medium to large red onion – diced
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chives – finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Dice the potatoes and rinse with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Heat the oil in the skillet on medium-high heat. Use only enough to lightly coat the pan.
- Put the potatoes in the pan and toss to coat in the oil. Cover the pan for 4 minutes to keep the steam inside the pan. This will ensure a soft, fully cooked center.
- Remove the lid and turn the potatoes. Cover for another 4 minutes. Repeat the process until the potatoes are lightly browned.
- Put the onion in and toss to coat with the oil. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Uncover and salt and pepper to taste. At this point the center of the potatoes should be tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Put the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes (or until golden brown and crispy on the outside) uncovered. Remove from the oven and toss the chives in to the potatoes. Serve hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.