For those of you who received this recipe already, our apologies for sending again. There was a glitch in our newsletter plugin and thousands of our readers missed the last few recipes. Please be patient with us as we will be sending out two more recipes over the course of the weekend. Thanks for your patience.
Light as a cloud, sweet, melt in your mouth raw strawberry mousse. Once you soak the cashews you can whip this up in less than 15 minutes.
Like a cloud. That’s what the texture of our vegan strawberry mousse is like. It’s so light and airy, sweet, fluffy and heavenly. You need this in your life.
It all began with a raw berry bar recipe that Alex was creating. Her first attempt didn’t set like a bar, it was more like a pudding/mousse. Hearing her tell me all about it made me start to crave a light and delicious mousse. So I created one.
It’s been quite a while since I’ve enjoyed a true mousse, so I’m really excited to share this recipe with you.
Conventional mousse is made with whipped egg whites to give a light and foamy texture. It should be filled with air bubbles, just like this one is.
Now obviously we didn’t use egg whites to get that soft whipped texture, instead we used the next best thing, whipped aquafaba.
Aqaufaba is the juice that you find in a can of beans, or chickpeas in this case. It’s truly magical because it whips up into a thick and sturdy meringue, just like egg whites do.
When you fold the aquafaba meringue into the thick strawberry cream mixture it becomes full of air bubbles, light, and foamy, just like it’s supposed to.
Let’s make some!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN STRAWBERRY MOUSSE
Our fluffy strawberry mousse is made with seven ingredients and it’s refined sugar-free. It’s a whole food plant-based dessert that will satisfy you and your friends and family, even the omnivores will love it.
To make our refined sugar-free vegan mousse, do the following.
First – Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak them for at least four hours. If you can soak them overnight you should. The softer the cashews the creamier they’ll become.
Second – Once the cashews are puffy and soft, drain the water and rinse them. Put them in a high-powered blender with the strawberries, coconut cream, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt, and blend on a high speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until you get a smooth, thick, and creamy sauce.
Third – Now it’s time for fun. Put the aquafaba and vanilla in a mixer with a whisk attachment and beat on a high speed until it becomes a stiff meringue with peaks. This could take as little as 5 minutes or as long as 15 minutes. You must be patient. Aquafaba has a mind of its own. Sometimes it takes a long time for it to start to thicken up and turn into meringue. Don’t give up on it, it will happen.
Fourth – Scrape the strawberry cream sauce into a large bowl and then fold the meringue into the cream until it’s completely combined, and fluffy.
Fifth – Spoon into serving dishes and refrigerate for an hour. Cover if you’re going to refrigerate for longer. Garnish with chopped strawberries and shaved dark chocolate.
Our fluffy strawberry mousse recipe melts in your mouth. I’m still pinching myself because I can’t believe that aquafaba meringue has given me back one of my favorite desserts.
This would make a lovely Valentine’s Day dessert. Decorate it with strawberries and shaved dark chocolate for an elegant and beautiful presentation.
Let us know if you make this, we love hearing from you. And don’t forget to take a picture of your masterpiece and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We’d be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can’t wait to see what we’re going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
- 16 oz fresh strawberries divided and stems removed
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Dash of sea salt
- ½ cup aquafaba See Note
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chopped strawberries
- Shaved dark chocolate
- In a medium bowl, pour boiling water on the cashews and soak for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best as it will result in the smoothest cashew cream.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and put in a high-powered blender with the strawberries (put a few berries aside for garnishing is you wish), coconut cream, lemon juice, maple syrup, and sea salt. Blend on a high speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until the cashews and strawberries are smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the blender halfway through blending.
- In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, beat the aquafaba and vanilla for 5 to 15 minutes on the highest speed. Aquafaba has a mind of its own and can whip up quickly or take a long time. Be patient and trust the process. It will whip into stiff peaks. Don’t give up on it.
- Scrape the strawberry cashew cream into a large mixing bowl and fold the meringue into the cream until it’s fully combined. It should be light and fluffy and full of air bubbles.
- Spoon the mousse into serving dishes and refrigerate for an hour. Cover if you’re going to refrigerate for longer than an hour.
- Garnish with chopped strawberries and shaved or grated dark chocolate
PREP TIME IN RECIPE DETAILS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE SOAKING TIME FOR THE CASHEWS.
The Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.
Aquafaba is the juice in a can of chickpeas.