A warm and cozy bowl of roasted winter vegetables. This healthy meal is filled with antioxidants and delicious flavors to keep you warm and nourished all winter long.
IT'S BOWL WEEK!
This week, in honor of The Super Bowl, we’re sharing our favorite bowl recipes, starting with this healthy and simply delicious winter vegetable and brown rice bowl.
It’s so easy to make, it’s packed full of superfoods, and it tastes so warm and cozy.
We took our favorite winter veggies (click on the links to learn about their health benefits), beets, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and kale, and mixed them up with chewy brown rice and a delicious and bright maple mustard dressing. It’s one big bowl of goodness that will satisfy your stomach while nourishing your body.
You can make this with or without olive oil, it’s totally up to you. We used a drizzle of it just to get the veggies slightly crispy, but they’re still great without it, just not as crispy.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY WINTER VEGETABLE BOWL
First – Peel the squash and beet and dice them into small bite-size cubes. Then cut the ends of the Brussels sprouts off and slice them in half.
Second – Put the veggies on a large baking sheet (use two if you have a smaller oven and need to use smaller pans) and drizzle a little on the veggies and then salt and pepper to taste. Spread them evenly and roast them for approximately 45 minutes, or until they’re caramelized and fork tender.
Third – Cook the rice.
Fourth – Steam the kale for a few minutes until it wilts slightly. While it’s steaming, whisk up the maple Dijon salad dressing.
When everything is finished cooking, divide the rice evenly in four bowls, top with the vegetables, and toss with the dressing. Garnish with some crunchy chopped roasted cashews and fresh basil leaves.
This is going to be a weekly dinner in our house until April (spring comes later in Chicago). It will be a favorite in your house too if you love the taste of roasted beets, caramelized butternut squash, and crisp and almost charred Brussels sprouts, especially when they’re tossed in our zippy dressing made with garlic, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and ground thyme. So yummy!
Make it this week, in fact, save yourself some time and roast a double batch of the vegetables so you can whip together a few more bowls during the week.
Let us know what you think, and don’t forget to take a picture and tag us @veganosity on Instagram!
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Winter Vegetable Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1 large beet
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 4 cups kale
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil optional See Note
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Green onions chopped
- Roasted cashews chopped
- Basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Peel and cube the beets and butternut squash (remove seeds) into bite size pieces. Slice the ends off of the Brussels sprouts and slice in half.
- Evenly spread the vegetables on a large rimmed baking pan. Use two pans if you run out of room. Lightly drizzle the olive oil (see note) over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for approximately 45 minutes (toss the vegetables half way through roasting), or until they are caramelized and fork tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, make the dressing.
Maple Mustard Dressing
- In a blender, add the water, garlic, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, thyme and salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy, approximately 1 minute.
Build the bowls
- Put the rice in a large bowl and put the vegetables on top. Toss with the dressing and divide into four bowls. Garnish with the green onions, cashews, and basil leaves.