Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
If you can eat just one of these incredibly moist chocolate coconut cupcakes I applaud your willpower.
I ate four.
There, I owned it. I feel better.
Sometimes you just need a cupcake darn it! Or, in my case, a lot of cupcakes. How could I not, these things are seriously the B.O.M.B. I’ve made them for two neighborhood parties and they are becoming famous. According to some people I need to sell these chocolate coconut dreams.
So what makes them so good you ask? Raw organic cacao powder and coconut milk. Did you know that there is a BIG difference between cocoa powder and cacao powder? The former is refined, meaning that most of the awesome antioxidants that we get to enjoy when we eat chocolate is removed. Bad. But cacao (just switch the o and the a at the end) powder has all of the good things that make our bodies happy, such as flavonoids, which may prevent all kinds of diseases. So yes, these cupcakes are better for us.
Fill the cupcake tins, leaving about one third of an inch free at the top. Let them cool completely before frosting. Whip the frosting until it’s smooth, fluffy, and creamy.
Let’s be honest though, we don’t eat cupcakes because they’re good for us, we eat them for the yum factor, right? Well folks, these do not disappoint. The cake is moist and light and not too sweet. The chocolate is rich and decadent. Then there’s the frosting. Chocolate and coconut frosting! Creamy, gooey chocolate coconut frosting. Need I say more?
Now I’m not one to ever promote over doing anything. Moderation is golden. You probably aren’t going to make these on a weekly, or even a monthly basis, so if you are weak like me, live a little. When it comes to something this freaking good, go ahead, have your cake and eat it too!
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 and ¾ cups of flour
- ¾ of a cup of raw organic cacao powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wet Ingredients
- ½ cup of applesauce + 2 teaspoons of baking powder- mix well
- ½ cup of coconut oil – liquid form
- ¾ cup vegan sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) – room temperature
- 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- ⅓ cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk - Add more if necessary.
- Unsweetened shredded organic coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Blend the sugar, applesauce, and oil in a large mixing bowl on medium speed. When the mixture is light and frothy add the vanilla and blend together.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture and then ⅓ of the coconut milk until just blended, then add another third of each, finally add the remaining third. Be sure not to over mix.
- On low speed, slowly add the boiling water until combined. The batter should be thin but not watery.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake papers leaving about one third of an inch of the paper showing. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check the centers with a toothpick to make sure they’re done. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Whip the vegan butter, confectioner’s sugar, cacao powder, and vanilla on medium high speed. Add the coconut milk one tablespoon at a time until the frosting is light and fluffy. Beat on high speed until the butter is completely incorporated and the frosting is creamy and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for 4-5 days.