Phở is all about the broth. It's packed with so much warm and savory flavor. Our broth does not skimp on flavor, it has all of the spices you'd expect in an authentic phở, and it's bulked up with meaty shiitake mushrooms and sweet carrots and herbs. And of course there's the noodles, you must have those rice noodles!
Can I just tell you how obsessed Alex and I are with phở? Clearly, we’re not the only ones because it’s a true food trend throughout the country right now. In case you’re not familiar with this Vietnamese street food, let us introduce you.
Phở is soup with a rich and warm broth that’s made with low-sodium vegetable broth, caramelized leeks, garlic, star anise, tamari, fresh ginger, cinnamon, basil, and cilantro. We let it simmer for 30 minutes so all of the flavors marry and become one delicious treat.
We also added meaty shiitake mushrooms to replace the beef that phở is typically made with. And to make it one step healthier, we put some sweet carrots in for good measure. Lastly, we added the rice noodles that are an essential ingredient in this Vietnamese soup.
Sound intriguing? Good, let’s get cooking!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN VIETNAMESE PHO
First – Caramelize the leeks in the olive oil until they’re a light golden brown. This will add so much flavor to the broth. If you don’t cook with oil you can cook them in a little bit of broth.
Second – Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, star anise, ginger, vegetable broth, water, tamari, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes.
Third – While the broth is simmering cook the rice noodles.
Fourth – Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime juice into the soup and stir it to combine.
Fifth – Divide the noodles into four bowls and pour the broth and mushrooms over the noodles. Garnish it with more cilantro and basil leaves.
Make this delicious vegan phở recipe and let us know what you think. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag us @veganosity on Instagram so we can see your beautiful creation.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Vegan Shiitake Pho
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 10 shiitake mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz light vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnishing
- Sea salt to taste
- 8 oz rice noodles
- Basil leaves to garnish optional
- In a large deep pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium heat and caramelize the leeks until they’re a light golden brown. This will add so much flavor to the broth. If you don’t cook with oil you can caramelize them in a little bit of broth.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth, water, tamari, star anise, ginger, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime juice into the soup and stir it to combine. Salt to taste.
- Divide the noodles into four bowls and pour the broth and mushrooms over the noodles. Garnish it with more cilantro and basil leaves.