Some things are just better from scratch. Pasta is the perfect example of that. While the boxed stuff may be easier, I’m here to tell you that fresh and homemade vegan pasta not only tastes infinitely better, but it’s also cheaper!
This recipe has been updated to make it even more awesome!
WHY HOMEMADE PASTA IS BETTER THAN BOXED
Pasta out of a box is great, and it's what we make most of the time, but when we have the luxury of taking our time in the kitchen, nothing compares to homemade pasta.
First of all, you get to control what goes in it. If you choose a quality organic flour, use sea salt, and filtered water, then you know that you're making the best for yourself and your family.
Homemade noodles also promises a perfectly tender bite. Seriously, the chewiness of fresh pasta in unlike anything else.
It's also really satisfying to make your own pasta from scratch. There's just something so rewarding and satisfying about cooking from scratch. Once you try it, you'll know what we mean.
LEARNING TO MAKE PASTA FROM SCRATCH IN ITALY
In the summer of 2017 my husband and I took the trip of a lifetime to Italy with 10 of our closest friends. We stayed in a gorgeous private villa in Tuscany and had our own private chef. It's still hard for me to believe that it actually happened.
On one of the glorious nights that we were there, our chef taught us how to make homemade pasta. She was so accommodating to my husband and I, and showed us how to make vegan pasta from scratch.
When all was said and done, our friends enjoyed the vegan version just as much as their version, which was made with eggs.
Ever since that experience, I've enjoyed making all kinds of shapes of pasta, but fettuccine is still my favorite.
Our wonderful chef, kneading the pasta dough.
The homemade pasta that we made.
If you ever get the chance to make pasta in Italy, please, please do. It's one of the most incredible experiences and I don't think it will ever taste as good as it did that night.
HOW TO MAKE THREE INGREDIENT HOMEMADE PASTA FROM SCRATCH
Making your own homemade vegan pasta is easy! You only need three ingredients.
We can't stress enough that you should buy the best flour possible. A finely milled, semolina pasta flour is highly recommended.
One of the things that most surprised me when our Italian chef taught us to make pasta was the fact that it didn't involve lots of steps. The only thing that took some work was kneading the dough. We kneaded it for a long time. Our arms ached a little when we were done. LOL!
- You just make a well in the center of the flour, pour the water in, mix it, and knead until it's nice and firm.
- Then roll it out with a rolling pin or a pasta machine until the dough is thin.
- Finally, cut it with a wood pasta roller or a pasta machine.
- Boil it until the noodles float to the top. That's it. Super easy and delicious!
HOW TO COOK FRESHLY MADE PASTA
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of sea salt to the water. Add the pasta and cook until it floats to the top. Drain or use a slotted spoon or pasta fork to remove the noodles.
That's it. It's so incredibly easy!
HOW TO SERVE HOMEMADE PASTA
Homemade vegan pasta from scratch is so delicious on its own that you don't need to add anything other than a good quality olive oil, some fresh herbs, such as basil and oregano, some black pepper, and vegan Parmesan.
Off course, our homemade spaghetti sauce is also really good, so you could make that, too.
HOW TO FREEZE FRESH PASTA
You can freeze the uncooked pasta noodles in a freezer safe bag for up to a month. Boil as directed in the instructions.
Make our delicious homemade vegan pasta and let us know what you think. Follow and tag us on Instagram so we can see your beautiful creations.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
The above links are affiliate links. Any Amazon purchases made through these links help support Veganosity.com at no additional cost to you.
HOMEMADE VEGAN PASTA
- 2 cups all-purpose flour see note
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- Mix the flour and salt on a clean dry surface or in a large mixing bowl until combined and make a well in the center of the flour.
- Pour the water in the well and mix the flour and water together with your hands until it forms a solid ball. Add more water/flour if needed.
- Knead the dough on a well-floured surface for 10 minutes. Split the dough into four balls of dough and cover three of them with plastic wrap.
- Roll out one segment at a time. Stretch the dough out until it’s thin, approximately 1/16th of an inch thick. Cut the pasta in strips for linguini, or any shape you like.
- Cook in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until it floats to the top.