An easy and fast spaghetti with vegan bacon and peas recipe. Perfect for a busy weeknight or a romantic weekend dinner for two.
Pasta! It’s been a while since I shared a good pasta recipe. Well, I guess if you count this lasagna recipe it hasn’t been that long. Who’s keeping track? Certainly not me.
Wouldn’t you love to eat pasta every day? No wonder people are so happy and passionate in Italy. CARBS! As much as you shun them, your body needs them for energy. And today, I’m going to have lots of that. Good thing, because I have a seven mile run coming up in a few hours and I’ll need it.
Another great thing about pasta is that it’s romantic. Think about it, when you and your honey (viva Viagra commercials) want to go to a cozy restaurant that puts you in the mood for love, you go to an Italian place. Am I right? That’s amore! That’s pasta!
Talk about flavor, this plate of yumminess has it going on. You get the smoky bacon and the savory onion, garlic, and spices, and the sweet peas. And then there are the textures. Chewy spaghetti, crispy bacon, crunchy breadcrumbs, and firm peas. This is truly one of my favorite pasta recipes ever. You have to try it.
This recipe takes fifteen minutes to make if you don’t include the time it takes to boil the water. That leaves you a ton of time to do other things besides cooking. Like laundry, cleaning, helping the kids with homework, or ♥. 😉
To make this you’ll need a red onion, garlic, peas, seitan bacon (I used Upton's), panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and of course, spaghetti.
While the pasta water is heating up you can finely chop the onion and seitan bacon and mince the garlic. If you use frozen peas—I did—defrost them.
When the pasta water comes to a full boil salt it and put the spaghetti in the water. Two minutes before the pasta is ready add the peas to the water.
Heat up a large skillet and pour two teaspoons of olive oil in the pan. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook until they begin to caramelize. It should take about 6-8 minutes, and don’t forget to stir them occasionally. Now add the seitan bacon pieces and the panko bread crumbs and mix them in with the onions. Cook for two minutes and add the garlic and the Italian seasoning and stir well. You can also add sea salt and ground black pepper if you like. That’s totally optional, although, I prefer my food well-seasoned, so I added them. Cook the garlic for two minutes and remove from the pan from the heat.
By now the pasta and peas should be done. Drain the water and return the pasta and peas to the pot. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil and grind a bit of sea salt on top the pasta and toss to coat. Add the onion and seitan bacon mixture to the pasta and peas and toss. Plate your pasta and sprinkle with some vegan parmesan cheese to finish.
Is Italian your go to for romance food?
What are you planning on eating for Valentine’s Day?
Are you doing anything fun for the long weekend?
I'm not doing much this President's Day weekend, but I am going to take Monday off, so look for a post on Tuesday. I'm reviewing the most fabulous cookbook, Dining at the Ravens. Your'e going to want to hear all about this book because of the incredible recipes (I'm sharing one with you) and where the restaurant is located. Good stuff!
Alex and I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes. And let’s connect! Hop on over to Facebook page and give it a like, or follow us on Instagram or Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Easy and Fast Spaghetti with Vegan Bacon and Peas
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil plus a little more to drizzle on the cooked pasta
- 1 medium red onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – peeled and minced
- 2 cups of peas – if frozen defrost them
- ½ package of vegan bacon I used Upton’s – chopped
- ¼ cup of panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of spaghetti – follow cooking instructions
- For the spaghetti and the peas:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Follow the instructions on the package for the spaghetti. Two minutes before the pasta is done add the peas to the water to cook. When done, drain and return the pasta and peas to the pot. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil and grind a bit of sea salt on top.
- For the Onion and Vegan Bacon Mixture:
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high and pour two teaspoons of olive oil in the pan. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook until they begin to caramelize. It should take about 6-8 minutes, and don’t forget to stir them occasionally. Now add the seitan bacon pieces and the panko bread crumbs and mix them in with the onions. Cook for two minutes and add the garlic and the Italian seasoning and stir well. You can also add sea salt and ground black pepper if you like. That’s totally optional, although I prefer my food well-seasoned so I added them. Cook the garlic for two minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add the onion and seitan bacon mixture to the pasta and peas and toss. Plate your pasta and sprinkle with some vegan parmesan cheese to finish.
- NOTE: This recipe will serve four to six if you use the entire package of pasta. Use half of the package to serve two.
this looks DELICIOUS! I love pasta I could eat it every single day! 😉 plus I love how few ingredients are in here!
Linda Meyer says
Thanks, Michele! Simple is the best. 🙂